Thread: Toying with climates - tougher than I thought!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default Toying with climates - tougher than I thought!

Okay, I returned to my own conworld for a bit! I recently watched a few YouTube videos by Artifexian, and started feeling the itch for my own climate analysis. Boy howdie, did I underestimate the work! I mean, how hard can it be to plonk down a few clashing colours, right?

I had a ton of fun though, and learned a fair bit. Still, knowing that there's a few true climate gurus on this forum, I was wondering if you could shed your light on my creation.

Okay, here's just the coastlines and the mountains:
    WORLD-1.jpg

winds:
    WORLD-2.jpg

ocean currents:
    WORLD-3.jpg

And finally the climate zones themselves, at least according to Artifexian's classification:
    WORLD-4.jpg

If you see any glaring mistakes or goofy mess-ups, be sure to yell!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looks like a great start! If I had any feedback just from glancing at it, it would be that the transitions from desert to other climate types are rather abrupt in places- the quick shift from humid continental in the northern part of the major supercontinent and to tropical rainforest in the southern part leap to mind. Generally deserts are surrounded by fairly wide bands of semi-arid climates such as steppe or Mediterranean climates. The other major comment might be that at the moment the mountainous areas seem to be quite narrow, more so than they would be on Earth (though it's hard to tell without an elevation map). Earth has quite large areas of highland climates which don't appear here- not sure to what extent those figure into the Artifexian tutorial however.

Depending on how much time you're willing to dedicate here, I will say that the tutorial here on Cartographer's Guild put together by Azelor (with many inputs from Charerg and Pixie, among others) is somewhat more comprehensive, and the results I've seen from it tend to look somewhat more plausible to me. Of course, it also involves elevation, temperature, and precipitation maps, which take even more time! The detail you can put into climate modeling is limited only by the amount of time you're willing to dedicate to it!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Thanks Tiluchi! What you say about the deserts makes total sense. Will have to look into that. And sure, I do believe that Artifexian's tutorial is rather a quick-n-dirty way to get climates in roughly the right spots. But I briefly glanced at that other thread you referenced while doing my initial research, and boy, I almost lost hope!! I mean, 591 posts?? Who has the time to read through all of that! I'm sure there's a nucleus of tutorial-ity in there somewhere, but I lacked the courage (or patience) to go and read through it until I found it. Entirely my bad, I know!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!