Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
Gorgeous work, Tiana! The play with light and shadows is top notch!
Thanks, Ilanthar! There are a few different adjustment layers to get to that point, where I added individual shading aspects in different ways over top of the flat art. The trick's all in those Linear Dodge, Screen, Overlay, Hard Light, Multiply, etc layers... so many of them, including clipped to the 'factory' dungeons to give them the illusion of depth. There are... hundreds of layers on this map, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
Wonderful and magical !
What a beautiful job here !
Congratulations !
Thank you, Jo! It is truly magical, isn't it? The client's ideas were wonderful to bring to life, I look forward to a future opportunity to do another 'painting map'. I haven't done many of them, as understandably they cost a fair amount of spare change compared to the traditional lines on parchment style with subtle coloring brought out from texture. Quite a bit of this is manual painting, but aspects of it were cheated too. For example, the roots are made from a repeating root pattern brush that I made last year, and then I created a clipping mask for it and painted on matching lighting and a few variations.

I think it's some of my best work from this year and hope that at least a few people will see it and be inspired to push their limits.