Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: The Realms of Aivak

Default February 2021 Challenge: The Realms of Aivak

I have been lurking again for far too long. The last challenge that I actually managed to complete a map for was in October '19 !!!!

Anyway, this one caught my attention. I took a look back and one that jumped out at me, because I can easily add it to the world that I am building is this one:

Aivak.jpg

It will be in the style of a Regional Map, and will also incorporate part of the "parent" continent that lies to the North West. The coastlines will change considerably, however it will still be noticeably the same map.

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Sweet! Great work hath been done here.

Ah yes, I remember that challenge. Didn't get a chance to participate in that one, but it was a lot of fun watching it. Like so many others in this months challenge, your original is pretty darn good, so it will be interesting to see what you'll do to update/improve it.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Ah yes, I remember that challenge. Didn't get a chance to participate in that one, but it was a lot of fun watching it. Like so many others in this months challenge, your original is pretty darn good, so it will be interesting to see what you'll do to update/improve it.
    Thanks GW, but looking back I don't really think particularly highly of the original map. There are way too many elements that don't fit together (and those trees are truly awful!!) It was a fun challenge however.

Anyway, here is a start - I have redrawn the coastlines, to include the major continent to the NW, as well as break up the main island into three smaller ones.

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak.jpg

T

Another little update - I am going to try to keep as many of the names as possible, although will probably add a load more as populated places seem waaay too sparse to me.

Added coastal lines, major places and tweaked the sea layer a tiny bit.

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak.jpg

Welcome back! I kind of liked the original shape, but regardless, this looks good, especially with the other landmass you put it against.

I'm up in arms about the ethereal feel, but that's just personal preference. I like your font choice, close to the original, just more refined looking.

IR

Nice to see you back in the challenges, Tonquani! I like what you have so far.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks guys it is good to be back!

A small update for you. Some mountains going in along with a little more text.

Any comments on the contrasting large caps text for Oceans / Mountain ranges / Country names etc? I like the type, but feel that it is a tad too clean. Any suggestions for something a little less precise and a bit more authentic looking?

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak.jpg

Another update. Mountains finished, started putting in rivers and had a bit of a test of town names/icons/roads on the north-western continent.

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak.jpg

Another update

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast