Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Nessa'Mor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Omri, good luck with your map.

Looks like you're off to a good start, though I hope you'll change the appearance of those clouds, they look green in some places... compression artifacts?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss Storm clouds Version 2

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I remember you making this map first time around! Cool choice for a remake.

Your linework is looking really nice. I particularly like how you're doing the buildings this time. They feel a lot more organic, compared to the original. I love how you've drawn them too. It's quite a simple style, but it works beautifully.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next.
    Thank you so much! It means a lot.
    And yeah, I totally agree that the new style works better than the old. The old one did serve its purpose back then, but it was still a lot of sameness in one space.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi Omri, good luck with your map.

Looks like you're off to a good start, though I hope you'll change the appearance of those clouds, they look green in some places... compression artifacts?
    Thank you

I totally get why you thought that. But actually it was intentional. That said, I am SUPER THANKFUL you said something, because it inspired me to do the next go at the storm so much better.
    Btw, the green is when a storm is very intense, I've seen it with my own eyes. Though, some people have seen it much more green in the world, google 'green storm clouds' if you want to see.

-------
    Okay, so I took a swipe at doing my clouds better this morning and I have to say I feel much more relaxed now with them.

For anybody interested in how I did them. I got my colors (about four) then I put the gradient on a layer at the back using 2 of the four colors. After than I started with a dark back drop for the clouds and using a Basic soft brush, and sometimes a Basic gimp grunge brush, I started painting in my light colors on VERY low opacity at first, but somewhere I upped the opacity. Though I will suggest using long sweeping strokes.

Getting it to look like it was hanging over the sea and land was a bit complicated, but at the same time not really. Hehe, I used overlay green on the sea to give the sea the colors emanating from the clouds, then added a cast shadow on it. The land side was just a shadow and making sure the cloud had enough highlights and shadows.

### Latest WIP ###
    Nessa'Mor_Redo_7_.jpeg

Anyway, let me know what you think.
    Last edited by XCali; 02-12-2021 at 05:33 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19