Thread: Hello! Andarr here...

Post Hello! Andarr here...

Hello to all fans of mapmaking. My name is Zbyněk, I am from Czech Republic. For those who tried to say my name and are not from any slavic country, just call me Andarr .

Two years ago I ran DnD game in my own world and fell in love with worldbuilding process. Creating map of continent where the game took place was naturally part of it. I drew my first map on paper. I was hooked by that process so i bought my first graphic tablet and tried to get better. I did a lot of experiments and scatches but ultimatelly after some time my campaign had to to stop because life happened. But few months back i started to draw again and even upgraded my tablet. I am still into mapmaking and i plan to get better!

Today in search for new maps that i could learn from i found this forum and got excited!

I also have something to show you here and i want nothing less from you than brutal critique, so i can be motivated to do better!
    I think that i know some of my weakpoints but please, i would really apreciate some tips

Now i am in stage that i experiment with colors and trying to create my own brushes that would elevate my linework... If you got any tips, dont spare me please. Up until now was my only source of tutorials and tip site fantasticmaps.com which i believe you already know. In this time i have map of a simple cave dungeon, so i hope that I will be able to draw from dungeons to whole worlds which will be on higher level.

Here is some of my work that in my eyes is some sort of publishable.

Thanks for your responses in advance and take care!
    Cannot wait to read your reactions...

Aridien_premiumx.png
    countryside.png
    Aridien_standartx.png

P.S. Please excuse my english

Hi Andarr, welcome to the guild. I cannot say much about your maps, apart from that I like them. They are clean, and well done. I like more the colour version than B/w so your experimentation was successful.

Blog Entries

Hi Andarr,

I tried learning a bit of Czech a while back in prep for a bit of vacation around your country but its a hard language. I could only count to two because I could not get to three from the pronouciation. I had to give up at that point. I don't think english speakers can handle the sounds required. If you had not said that english was not your first language then I would not have known. Its very good. I recommend to all non native speakers to put in the country into your profile so that people can relate to your local language and country. But its not required.

Anyways, like the maps. May comment more in time. But all three are different and each is pretty good. Have a go at the monthly challenges. Those would be well placed to win one.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

So good and very catchy.
    You should change the color of the line from black to brown or deeply blue.

to lepracauno:
    Thanks for the reply, i will try to do something with the lines...

to Redrobes:
    Dont worry... a lot of people have problem with this letter... usually what happens for english speakers or basicly for all (even some slavic language speakers) who try to learn it, they substitue Ř with some form of R. But even that is difficult letter with even some of natives cannot say it... we have special word for that condition

Thanks for warm welcome and positive words about my work, i will try to stay active.

Welcome to the Guild Zbyněk/Andarr , I’m glad you decided to join us!

Thanks for sharing some of your work already as well. I really like your maps so far and look forward to seeing more of your work. There’s a surprising amount of map making resources here I think you’ll find helpful. What app are you using to draw your maps?

Happy Mapping!
    - Josh

Hello Josh, thanks for the kind words, i was looking to your website and i found your tutorials very nice...
    You are right there is a ton of materials... will use them as much as possible!

Love your style!

Welcome to the guild! You're maps are looking great already!
    I started in the exact same place as you, using tutorials from fantasticmaps. My first digital map looks really similar to yours because I used the same city map tutorial.
    If you stick around here you'll improve really quickly and you're already well on your way to making really high quality maps!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM