Thread: Jan/Feb '21 Lite Challenge: Sunstripe Shore

Default Jan/Feb '21 Lite Challenge: Sunstripe Shore

Hello Friends!

Here's a new map I'm working on. So far there are just dabs of colour. Sand, grass, rocks, water... but no waterfront yet. I made a fake isometric grid for this, but might start over with a top-down view, because I was thinking of doing one or the other, so if this one turns out to be crap, I'll try the other way.

So far I'm working on the coastline, later this will be a fishing village.

### Latest WIP ###

Waterfront Map 1.02.png

Please comment and critique, I would love some input, especially at this early stage. Let me know whether this is going in the right direction or not. What would you do differently? Also, if I was doing this map for you as a gift or commission, what would you like to see on it?

There's a rough idea for a story that goes with this place but for now I'd like to allow myself some exploration so the story might change. I'll post it later, depending on the feedback.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love the painterly style! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome to the Challenge Kisachik! Off to a good start.

Guild Member Guild Supporter

It's so beautifully soft feeling with the more muted color and the gentle brushwork!
    At the moment, it has that peculiar 'fractal' nature of coastlines in that I cannot tell what scale I'm looking at - it could be 10 meters across, or 10 kilometers

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That really does look amazing! If I was to look at that map and expect to see anything it would be an elderly gentleman perched on one of the large stones fishing, so I guess this is a good set up for what you are aiming for. I agree with bioluminescence though about the map having a scale-less feeling though. I assume once you add buildings that will disappear.

I'm also a fan of the painterly work you've started with, I hope you are able to continue it.

Hello friends!

Thank you for the comments! Here's an update. I lost my progress at some point, which put me off of this project for a while, but I'm still working on it.

I just wanted to share how I'm creating this piece, which is, in short, slowly rendering everything by hand.

I started on the fishing village just to show you its location. I also added a mysterious structure on the island off the coast. I'll tell you more about it in another post. Or you can do a bit of guessing.

### Latest WIP ###

Waterfront Map 1.03.png

Let me know what you think!

This feels really cosy somehow, love your painted style...
    Mysterious structure on the island made me think of an ancient and forgotten theme park entry gate!

Here's the latest update.

So, where do the villagers live? Is it really just two buildings? If your village got raided by pirates, you too would probably want to make it look like there's nothing here. That's what happened to this place. The story is longer, but I'm not sure I'd be able to type it all here before the challenge closes, it's pretty late.

### Latest WIP ###

Waterfront Map 1.04.png

Nice map! My guess is the rest of the village is hidden in the cave, but it could be something less obvious like just inside the forest.