Thread: High Quality Continental Map for Home Game

Map High Quality Continental Map for Home Game

Introduction: Hello! I'm a new poster, long time lurker of the forum, and i've finally decided to jump into requesting a commission be done for my home brew D&D Campaign set in the world of Othlorias. Up front, I'm willing to pay pretty fair market rates for a high quality product, in the ranges of $3-400 USD. I've created a draft of the world in Wonderdraft, but I've just never been able to get the map to a point I've been happy with between the scaling, colour blending and natural look of it. So I turn to you for help! This is my first attempt at a commission, so please do let me know if the ask/price is unreasonable, copyright doesn't make sense, the details are unclear, etc.

Project Scope:
    The scope of the project will first center on a large continent sized map, including the main continent of Esseas, a secondary as-yet-unnamed continent to the north, and a variety of islands scattered in the open sea. The aim will be to also generate at least 2x regional maps (maybe more if things go well) of the areas the players are most likely to be playing in for the duration of the campaign. The continent map itself is expected to be pretty Macro level, so a lot of detail isn't expected; that's for the regional maps. For a timeline, i'm pretty flexible. I'm presently deployed with the military, so I've got at least 3 months before I'm back home and settled enough to even think about starting my home brew game back up.

Setting:
    High Fantasy/Medieval fantasy in a Grimdark, high gothic, heavily undead thematic campaign.

Design Concept/Style:
    The Primary focus of the maps will be geographic. My preference is actually to leave them blank of names, cities, locations, etc. as much of that still remains to be fully determined. I'll provide you with a copy of the wonderdraft file, along with pieces of artwork collected from around the internet which I think illustrate what the biomes of each particular region may look like to assist perhaps in the choice of coloration and terrain work. I've provided some examples of style which I really like, many of which are Max's (I really, really like his style of work). While the original intent may be just geographic, by the time the work is actually being done, names and locations can likely be forwarded to you for addition into the final product. I am leaning towards a style that looks more distressed, like an old map (examples 1 and 3), as it's likely i'll print out a large version, distress it, and give it to my players as a scroll type prop.

https://www.deviantart.com/maximepla...ands-417699556
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/33/75...8bba35d3b1.jpg
    https://www.deviantart.com/maximepla...eria-417700968
    https://www.deviantart.com/maximepla...uria-467993282

Number of maps:
    One continental map with a focus on geography (and perhaps geographic names, key cities, and location at a later date)
    Two follow on regional maps with a focus on cities, key locations, and geographical features
    Perhaps more if things go well

Technical:
    I honestly have no idea what technical resolution would be ideal. My intent is to print the map as large as possible, up to at least 36'x48'
    Format: .jpeg, .png or whatever i can use to put into another program to add my own locations at a later date
    Full color, though toned to an aged map

Copyright:
    The artist will retain copyright of the map, and the right to display a copy in their portfolio
    I would like reproduction rights to the map

Deadline:
    Flexible. As stated earlier i'm away anyways until at least the end of May. So my target date for the Continent Map, and the first regional map (where the game takes place) would be the middle of June (so roughly 4 months?). I'm also fine with not starting immediately if there is other work that you have queued, as it allows me to continue work on the details so I can give you more.

Payment:
    $3-400 USD, payable via Paypal upon delivery of the final files for the continent
    Additional negotiated price for the follow on regional maps.

Contact
    Wayne Shelson
    Bruce(dot)dubbya(at)gmail(dot)com
    Please use subject line Cartographers Guild Map Commission (or something of the like)
    My account is too new to be able to send/recieve DM's, so the above email, or a post on here will be the best way to initiate contact.

I'd be happy to help with what you've pitched here, but I also note you've earmarked 3/4 pieces from the same artist, Maxime Plasse, maybe you should talk to them first. maximeplasse@yahoo.fr

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I too would be happy to offer my services for this map! Continents and regions are my specialty. You can see my portfolio at here! Everything is drawn by hand and colored digitally. My rates are reasonable and my turn around time can be swift if needed. You can view my latest piece here as well.
    Last edited by greendino; 02-23-2021 at 08:12 PM.
    Dungeon master, World Builder, and Mapmaker.
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio
    Contact me at greendinomaps@gmail.com