Thread: Mar/Apr '21 Lite Challenge: Springtide Island

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default Mar/Apr '21 Lite Challenge: Springtide Island

So I have had a slight problem trying to come up with ideas for this challenge. For me, what I most associate with spring is the smell of rain before the storm in a forest. Not quite sure how to map that... (and probably just convinced everyone that I am crazy ). So what I have decided to do is draw an island with different places named/drawn that go over different aspects of spring for me. There will be the:

Beds of Sneezing (a sort of flowery plain absolutely stuffed with pollen - I mean, why must plants have so much pollen?)
    Birdsong Mountains (the return of the birds is one thing I love about spring)
    Warm coast (more for my family who decide that, just because it is 5 degrees warmer, they can go to the beach)
    Green forest (the return of the green to the trees is probably the most visible sign of spring for me)
    Pinnacle of Freshness, Fresh Rain Lake, and the Misty Falls (this is my attempt to 'map' the smell of rain before a storm)
    Sea of Dreams (spring often brings me back to old goals that I failed to complete the previous year)
    Realm of Lingering Ice and the Meltoff River (reminders that, just because it is spring now, does not mean that winter has lost its hold)
    Pinnacle of Life's Circle (a reminder that summer will soon be here but spring will come again)

Soooo hopefully this will go alright. I have a vague sketch of how this will look attached below and we will see where it goes from there!

### Latest WIP ###
    springtide draft.png

Welcome to the challenge Arimel!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Green forest (the return of the green to the trees is probably the most visible sign of spring for me)
    Me too, I love that new green color that spring brings!
    Last edited by Bogie; 03-28-2021 at 05:53 PM.

I love your idea, an abstract and comical take on the theme.

Thank you both. Here is the next update. I wish that I had not chosen to draw this one in those Beds of Sneezing though... it really ruins an evening .

### Latest WIP ###
    draft1.png

Looking good, can't wait to see it colored!

Hi Arimel!

I don't think you ruined that area, but if the scattered flowers look bothers you, try combining them into one shape like you did the forest, then draw in more flowers, giving it a unique texture. Before you do it on the map, try it on a separate piece of paper, to see if that helps, and if you like such look better.

I really like your idea, and also the fact that the mountains look like pencils!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi Arimel!

I don't think you ruined that area, but if the scattered flowers look bothers you, try combining them into one shape like you did the forest, then draw in more flowers, giving it a unique texture. Before you do it on the map, try it on a separate piece of paper, to see if that helps, and if you like such look better.

I really like your idea, and also the fact that the mountains look like pencils!
    I think there was a slight misunderstanding here . I have pollen allergies which, in the spring, tend to go crazy. The Sneezing Beds in the map are a reference to my pollen allergies and my comment last time I posted was because my allergies were particularly bad that day.
    The flowers in the map itself I am happy with. I am sure it could be better but I think that if I made it into one shape like the forest it would become too busy or cluttered.

----------------------------------------------------------

So here is my final WIP, I think. Definitely not one of my best maps but I was focusing on other projects more this month and kind of neglected this one.

### Latest WIP ###
    Springtide Island.png

It looks good. I like the clumpiness of Green Forest.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk
    View my website and Instagram

Oh, I see! I thought you didn't like the texture. I liked it, I thought maybe you had a different vision.

I see what you mean now, you drew the map on a day that was full of pollen, as if you were really laying in the Beds of Sneezing on your map.

Where I live the grass only just now turned green, and it's very pleasant to take walks outside, the trees have very tiny leaves, and there's early spring flowers around: snowdrops, crocuses, also some daffodils. The trees in a local forest are still bare and you can see the other side of the forest easily, which is not the case in the summer, it's very dark and mysterious then. No pollen anywhere, but that will probably change in a few weeks.