Thread: Noctiland (2021)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Noctiland (2021)

It's pretty bad when I have to start subtitling my threads with the year (that's how I know I've redone the same map too many times, I guess). This is yet another reworking of my 'main' conworld. I'm pretty happy with the results, although I could've made the cities a little more legible, especially in mountainous areas.

I've reworked the mythology and history of this place soooo many times it's not even funny. Essentially, these large islands/subcontinents have been invaded/colonized from two directions: from the east by the remnants of the Old Vornyrian Empire, a Roman analogue, and from the west by the Kelta, which as you've probably guessed from the name, are a Celt-like people. The native human civilizations are the Kherumites of northern Eos and Pangash, and the tribes of Uttaru. There are also the Hamuthi of northern Pangash, a troll/giant-like race, and the Qol of the Hivelands, an insectoid race of merchants and smiths.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really nice map! The colors really work together although, as you said, some of the labels do blend in a bit. I certainly don't envy naming all those locations though!

This looks like a very accomplished work, consitent, well thought, well made. Even your names are excellent !

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Very nice visually, but...

The equator suggests that the presented world is spherical.
    If so, then the graphical bar scale makes no sense on this map. Putting scale on these kinds of maps, is a common mistake of many fantasy maps (and many others).
    I don't know how big your world is, but if it's the size of Earth then bar scale, which at the equator indicates 500 miles on the northern coasts of Pangash will indicate circa 380 miles.

If you tell me the diameter of your world at the equator, I will be happy to help you calculate and draw the correct bar scale.

I recommend you to read this article Choosing the best way to indicate map scale.

And it's a very nice map indeed. And the only thing that can be improved on it is the geometry

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Impractical: Thanks for the kind word and the advice. I know the scale bar is a bit, er,... Impractical... but I wasn't after super-realistic cartography. At some point I want to do a complete orthographic layout of both hemispheres, and at that point I'll (hopefully) be a bit more accurate.

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    At some point I want to do a complete orthographic layout of both hemispheres, and at that point I'll (hopefully) be a bit more accurate.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed and can't wait