Thread: Hello Everbody

Default Hello Everbody

Hi everybody,

Hello everybody. Even though i have known this site for years, had never posted, just used it to learn from the vast knowledge that is been shared here. I really like drawing maps, some have been used for various activities, such as games or writing stories.

In the past I had few attempts at drawing maps. First I worked with an application that I no longer even remember what it was called; later, I got one of the old versions of CC, which by watching the latest of them, the program has evolved considerably, can do wonderful things there, I don’t use it anymore. Over time I moved to Photoshop, a program I hardly know how to master, basically I use it to make maps and the random photo touches.

The potential scope of Photoshop captivated me and I remain with it. The use of Vectors over Pixels seems better in my opinion, besides the fact preserves higher definition, the documents are less heavy, but Adobe has not gotten me so far. I have not been able to apply the way I design my mental maps to work on a project in order to use Adobe, so far, therefore almost never work with it, only for small things, such as color gradient tables to set my maps with information I want to highlight. I have been clicking GPlates a couple of times, but that thing is alive, the learning curve is going to take me a while.
    My maps have been simple, with the little knowledge I am able to handle and understand. It is time to get serious and dare to seek feedback, make sense of what I do, and find guidance. That is why I finally decided to show up here, after so many years of knowing the forum, and the great amount of things I have learned form you all.

Thank you for reading this long post, and again I greet to all of you.

mannedoc

Welcome to the Guild! There’s definitely a lot of cartographers that do some beautiful maps in a variety of styles with Photoshop. It’s where I started as well. While I’ve moved on to Procreate for the majority of my work, I do still fire up Photoshop from time to time.

I look forward to seeing some of your work!

- Josh

Oh wow, I didn’t know about Procreate until you mention it. it looks quite interesting, might give it a try soon. Thanks for the welcoming.