Thread: Pucklechurch and its Surrounding Hexes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial

Here's another update.

The town of Liberfell has had its icon added. There's a few small tweaks here and there. But the two largest changes are of course:
    • The frame, which is meant to look as if we're peering down through clouds at a sleepy countryside.
    • The flower fields in two of the hexes.

TUTUBAD-framed-3s.png

To create the flower fields, I did the following:
    1. First, in an outside program, I created several different colors of flower icon.
    2. In QGIS, I used a processing tool to generate a field of regular, but randomly offset points.
    3. I rearranged and overlapped these points to get the placement patterns of the flowers.
    4. In the metadata for the table, I gave each point a random integer flag using "rand(1,6)", and associated each integer with a different flower icon.
    5. To add a bit more visual variation, I also gave each point a randomly generated size flag, and then changed the symbol to render using that variable instead of a fixed number of units.

One of my design decisions was to keep the final image to 8.5x11 inches. That way, I can easily print out the map.

I made a color copy at the library, and showed it to someone else. The main issues were:
    • Some of the rivers are too smooth. They contrast with the organic jagginess of the forests and so on.
    • The flower fields look very nice, but the viewer thought they were cities. I need to fiddle with the flower icons somehow to make their nature more clear. Perhaps changing their color scheme, adding a bit more visible leafy green. Maybe intersperse some grass among the flowers. Something like that.