Thread: The Pumpkin Patch

Default The Pumpkin Patch

I decided yesterday to give making my own maps from scratch another go (rather than using Dungeondraft's native assets and style). Focusing on a consistent style this time, and going for something cartoony and stylized, like a fun little game. Not sure if this style would find a lot of fans as a battlemap, but I like the idea. The downside is, I have to make every single basic asset before I can create even a basic map, rather than only having to draw the unusual bits or fancy decorations - this will take forever. I do want to start with some rural maps (paths, fields, orchards etc.) to begin with, so when I saw the topic for the current lite challenge I couldn't help thinking "pumpkin patch"! I probably won't make it on time, I spent all day yesterday painting textures (that's a lot of cobble stones) and today making a grass material (and also still trouble shooting the textures). At least, by the end of the day, I have a somewhat functional map base to populate with assets:

### Latest WIP ###
    Pumpkinpatch1_72.png

Welcome to the challenge Olooriel! Very nice cobblestone path.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Welcome to the challenge Olooriel! Very nice cobblestone path.
    Thanks! It's the first terrain texture I've made for Dungeondraft that has transparency to blend the edges according to height, so I'm very proud of it - took me quite a while yesterday until it was finally working without any weird pixel outlines.

Today I made two paths (fence and flowerbed), and then I could finally get to objects, starting with the most important part: pumpkins and pumpkin plants! I also shrank the border of the grass material to make it match the scale better (though still exaggerated of course). I changed the layout of the map somewhat to make more room for the focus of the map.

There's a lot of fun details I'd still like to add, but I guess it's actually a functional pumpkin patch map now that I can enter in the challenge if everything else fails - yay!

### Latest WIP ###
    Pumpkinpatch4_72.png

Lovely map!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Lovely map!
    Thank you!

I added two scarecrows at the gate, a little chair so the person who is watching the place or selling pumpkins doesn't have to stand while waiting for customers, a wheelbarrow that someone uses to transport pumpkins (and that just so happens to block half of a path) and some more pumpkins in general. I also added the grid.

I drew a darker outline for the fence to make it stand out better, and I added more posts to it because its irregularity was driving me nuts. I also made my first roof textures for Dungeondraft - those took quite a while to figure out, but at this point I really didn't want to leave in any assets I didn't create myself.

If I still have time tomorrow, I may add a couple of stray cobbles and weeds, but if not, I'm pretty pleased with it as it is!

### Latest WIP ###
    Pumpkinpatch5_72.png

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Looking good!
    Thanks!

I added some cobbles along the path edge to make it less "cut off" looking, planted some weeds all over and moved the wheelbarrow and the pumpkins to not have everything line up with the scarecrows. I also got feedback that the earth was looking too grey and unhealthy, so I shifted the hue of that texture to make it warmer and more saturated. Fairly happy with it now!

### Latest WIP ###
    Pumpkinpatch6_grid_72.png
    Last edited by Olooriel; 11-14-2021 at 09:30 AM.