Thread: Tackling the terrain of my worldbuilding project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You need more noise. The current Wilbur version has a median filter to kill it later if needed. An exponential operation at the end can also help. Having a mask with both coastline and rivers during erosion can also for rivers more strongly.

I took your advice to heart Waldronate, and added a lot more noise for the first set of erosion on the next version!

But before I did that, I wanted to flesh out the rivers of the south-western peninsula to help Wilbur for the generation in that area, so I completed this map plate of 'Upper Sirntar' (left). This has meant that most rivers on the continent are now plotted out, but there are still some blank areas. I've put boxes over where I have recently made maps of which include rivers (right). Maybe I'll use Wilbur for inspiration.

Upper Sirntar.png Completed Map Plates.png

Anyway, I used these new rivers and such to update the masks for Wilbur. I set the offset of the hills this time to 40, and the mountains to 80, and similarly set the fill value of the rivers to 0. For the first batch of noise, I set it to 100, and ran 25 passes of erosion. I then did 10% and 25 passes, and 5% and 25 passes. Then lastly I set the exponent to 2, and got this, which I am pretty happy with so far.

Screenshot 11.PNG Terrain Generation 14-02-2022.png

It is still a bit plateau-ey but it's slowly getting better, at least I think.

EDIT: Actually, looking at it, the rivers that appear on the heightmap are almost white/far whiter than the valleys and that which Wilbur generated, so it seems that the river height is too high somehow. I'm not really sure how it can be high, but also embed itself into the rest of the landscape.
    Last edited by Rubikia; 02-14-2022 at 12:40 PM.
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com