Thread: February 2022 Challenge: Tour Carmen!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I love the 3D rendering! You're doing a very good job!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiAeon View Post
    Oooooh lovely!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking really good so far, I look forward to seeing where you take it.
    Glad you like it. I have made a bit of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Draghetto View Post
    I love the 3D rendering! You're doing a very good job!
    Thanks. It was pretty hard. T_T and I'm not sure I'll be able to do some of the things I wanted to do with it especially in the time frame, because I have so much to learn.

Now we have the decorative goddess themed frame. Still no text, and I have mixed feelings, this is the 3rd draft of the frame. The lurid green is not optional, Lady Fate is known as the Green Lady for a reason!
    ### Latest WIP ###
    carmen map frame3 small watermarked.jpg

If I go with this, I just have to add text and the tour routes and a little boat to finish.

If you're wondering what I discarded...
    carmen map draft1.png

I really liked this initial sketch for the frame, but when I tried to turn the sketch into a frame that made sense, well, it just ended up not. I also did really like the flat color for the goddess, more than the cartoon but I wasn't sure people could parse it well enough, because in my experience the more abstract I get, the more confused people get, and the pose is a bit vague with the foot positioning (though I did use the 3D model reference in Clip Studio Paint so it should be more or less 'correct').

carmen map frame small gngh.png
    Then I did this effect to try for one more go at the Celtic knotwork kind of framing and well, again, I liked it but it doesn't fit this style of map as well as I'd hoped. I might release that piece later into my thread of free things.

Still, I have mixed feelings about the ribbon explosion cartoon goddess variation. But that's where it's at.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I add some text. Just the large labels for now. And fiddled a bit more with the frame. Toned it down a bit more.

### Latest WIP ###
    carmen map frame4 small watermarked.jpg

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!