Thread: Hello!

Post Hello!

Hello! I'm Emma, I found my way here from the WASD20 discord. I have loved maps all my life and actually do spatial analysis and cartography for my job. Weirdly I have only recently started drawing maps but I love it. I currently mostly use pen and ink but I am interested in learning how to create digital maps as well. Excited to find another community of people who love maps!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

That's awesome! And Welcome! Hehe, I quite like WASD20's maps. He has a good style.

Also, my cartography journey started with pensil/pen and paper. Eventually I started dabbling with the free photoshop alternative, GIMP and from there my digital cartography journey took off. I would suggest a drawing tablet, since drawing styles need finer precision. Cool thing about digital cartography, you have much more room to experiment with lineart and all sorts of drawing styles, ctr Z is your friend.

Anyway, look forward to seeing some of your maps.

P.s. Posting gets much easier after you poster 5 times. Just a FYI.
    Cheers,
    Omri

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    That's awesome! And Welcome! Hehe, I quite like WASD20's maps. He has a good style.

Also, my cartography journey started with pensil/pen and paper. Eventually I started dabbling with the free photoshop alternative, GIMP and from there my digital cartography journey took off. I would suggest a drawing tablet, since drawing styles need finer precision. Cool thing about digital cartography, you have much more room to experiment with lineart and all sorts of drawing styles, ctr Z is your friend.
    Omri
    Thanks for the welcome! I actually have a drawing tablet (a fairly basic one) but every time I sit down to draw, I always opt for pencil/pen and paper because it feels safer/easier/more like I know what I'm doing. The learning curve for the tablet feels high...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emmarosetait View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I actually have a drawing tablet (a fairly basic one) but every time I sit down to draw, I always opt for pencil/pen and paper because it feels safer/easier/more like I know what I'm doing. The learning curve for the tablet feels high...
    I can agree to that. Well, at least at first. The first while was also difficult for me. But it's like learning a new controller for something. It takes a little time, but as you practice it becomes more precise.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hello, and welcome. I'm new here as well.