Thread: Earth 96339 - An Alternate Earth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is a very cool project! I'd actually considered doing something similar with my world as it would have more or less fit with the concept I'm working with, but ultimately I ended up building a new world from scratch. One thing you might consider is that you can download sample data for GPlates that goes back 400Mya or so, meaning that with a bit of work you could simulate your alternate earth quite nicely. It would require fiddling around a fair amount with their .rot files but the nice thing is that you'd have lots of data ready to go rather than having to start from scratch. Either way, excited to see how this progresses!

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Finally, some feedback! Thanks, Tiluchi! I saw some of the GPlates data, I that would have probably been easier, but I aready got a lot of progress done with the method I'm using, so I'm sticking with it. Although for a while, I've mostly been tracing from Scotese's Continental Drift, and in order to spend less time, I decided to do it more roughly, and the specific changes can be added when I do the map, like how you did. Thanks for the feedback and the inspiration!

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Welp, after all of this time, I finally created the tectonic evolution of this version's Pangea; well part of it anyway, and it's still subject to change. But for right now, here is a GIF (that was a pain of an ass to put together), of the animation.

image_109.00Ma_4.gif