Thread: Sylarus - Parchment Style Kingdom map (First Map of the Year!)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you both for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Really love the atmosphere on this one, as I think I already said on Twitter... I always love heavy texturing and darker tones like this. Really digging the title scroll too.
    I was actually very much inspired by the heavy texturing on your own parchment maps here! I always find them so captivating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I'm personally not a huge fan of Northumbria - it's one of those hit and miss typefaces that has a few downright ugly characters that make it a bit too hard to work into nice typography even if the overall look is not too bad.
    I definitely agree that it has some really iffy characters - looking back on this now the double L in 'Cealla' especially bothers me. I find that most "handwritten" style fonts don't look quite right, so I normally opt for a serif. The client was looking for a calligraphy feel here so I went with it, but I always struggle with font choices - I need to find myself a few reliable go-to fonts I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Atlas View Post
    I was actually very much inspired by the heavy texturing on your own parchment maps here! I always find them so captivating.
    I'm flattered!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Atlas View Post
    I definitely agree that it has some really iffy characters - looking back on this now the double L in 'Cealla' especially bothers me. I find that most "handwritten" style fonts don't look quite right, so I normally opt for a serif. The client was looking for a calligraphy feel here so I went with it, but I always struggle with font choices - I need to find myself a few reliable go-to fonts I think!
    Looking at the font again, I actually think I personally mostly take issue with the capitals of that particular one, rather than the lowercase characters. Not that it matters, but I'm a font nerd. I should thank you, this actually made go look at the font in my library and I ended up giving the collection the clean it's been needing for two years!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 02-10-2023 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Typos galore...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.