Thread: December 2023 Challenge: 3D Glastonbury Tor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the comments.

I had not seen that defra site before but its not appearing properly on this machine as I cant ever seem to get arcgis style maps to work on the browser. I used to have the whole UK lidar link somewhere but its been so long since I used that I have lost the link.

I am just checking the accuracy of the height map and I found some pictures online like this one:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/3191/2...c831d2b6_b.jpg

And positioning my height map to match I get this:
    3DModel2.png

which I think is close enough. You can see on the photo that the Tor has these steps in the ground height. I am not sure why this is but normally its where ancient people have constructed palisades of wood but the Tor does not seem to be large enough to offer a village settlement on top. But maybe it did as part of a larger settlement where the town is now.

I am intending to only pull up the Tor hill and not all of this surrounding landscape. So at some point I might have to add in some of these steps.

Looking at these auxetic materials which have been cut by a laser they all seem to share the same sort of property in that they have spots with arms cut so that when stretched it allows the arms to expand or unfurl. I think its just a case of making the cuts to control where the height can be obtained and how much resistance or springiness the paper will have when pulled. If that can be controlled then maybe its not quite such a tall order to make it. The software to calculate the cuts still seems quite tough tho.

So zig zags like this:
    RoughCutPattern2.png
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-03-2023 at 09:04 AM.