Thread: Failed commissions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by worldbuilding pasta View Post
    Generally make a point to discuss enough of the details ahead of time to avoid this, but have sometimes got pretty far into that discussion before realizing it wouldn't be viable. Typically people who A, want a lot of work done on tectonics and climate to ensure everything is scientifically plausible but B, don't want the result to actually turn out any different from what they already had in mind, rendering the whole process pointless.
    Haha yeh, most of all some do not get how much time it takes to make all the preliminary analysis to make such kind of world building.

I actually had a commissioner last year that seemed like a dream, but as we started working together I soon noticed that even though I did things exactly as he asked… he just never liked anything I did. It was extremely odd, but I’m honestly just glad that he told me things weren’t working out. It sucked that it fell through like that but also absolutely lifted the weight off of me.

It was kind of really clear to me that he liked the artist he had worked with before and to this person I think they just wanted to work with that artist again and maybe no one else would have measured up? It’s weird when a client comes to you through someone else, because then you weren’t actually their (client itself’s) pick. They just needed someone and there you were.

If this had been a few years ago, I would have been devastated. Thankfully after a day or two of it stinging a bit, it was fine.