Thread: Signs of the Times - Adobe terms of use?

Default Signs of the Times - Adobe terms of use?

I'm not especially savvy in terms of the programs available, but over on the social media I haunt there's currently an uproar about Adobe, which recently updated their terms of use in a problematic way. Their slimy, grabby access-to-content language is sending a gaggle of writers running, and someone like me, who imagined using InDesign to format a TTRPG book, is now on the hunt for alternatives. Are the new terms of use prompting folks to look elsewhere for design software? Where do you think folks will go, if anywhere, when the dust begins to settle?

Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild WholesomeOgre and good luck with your map request.

I am not familiar with using InDesign myself but would always use a free and open source application (FOSS) for all of my tools and file formats for which I need to expend a lot of personal time because there has been innumerable examples of corps slashing the license terms of the app for which underpins your work. There was a big blow out with the open gaming license last year where a lot of people got burnt and moved out on the role playing front. But apps are notorious leading to the 2023 word of the year, en****tification, which covers a more broad range of services but all come down to luring you in with a free good quality start and ending up with the paid for and terrible experience.

At the very least use open source and free license file formats so that push comes to shove you can move away from your previous tool and still keep the project.

All I can suggest in this instance are web searches like this:
    https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best...-alternatives/
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-06-2024 at 05:39 PM.

Thank you, Redrobes! My sense is that folks are moving on to some programs like Scribus or Canva, but that the learning curve is steep. I have access to MS Publisher through my job, so I'm currently leaning that way, but I want to get a good look at what the publishing ecosystem will support. The standard for crowdfunding seems to be an entry-level PDF and then higher pledge tiers for soft- or hardcover volumes, so there might be some radical rethinking in line for the whole industry if Adobe presses forward with its invasive, proprietary sensibilities.

All user content will be monetized.
    The daleks might exterminate and the borg might assimilate, but tech bros will monetize