Thread: What software to use to create Gothic Sci-Fi Battlemaps

Default What software to use to create Gothic Sci-Fi Battlemaps

Hi, there I intend to run Dark Heresy Game and am wondering what would be the best software to create Battlemaps. There would need to be a good amount of Gothic/ Dark si fi esque Assets. And up to know I haven’t really found anything usefull. I heard Incarnate is good though that one is an Abonoment model.

Campaign Cartographer 3+ seems to be a good option with the humble bundle currently acailavle but I don’t know about the asset availability.

I hope you guys can give me some Ideas what to use.

If you have questions about what's available in CC3+, try asking at the ProFantasy forum at https://forum.profantasy.com for what's usually a pretty quick response.
    The two potentially biggest issues with CC3+ are that the software is a bit of an old-fashioned CAD program (use a command and then select things instead of select things and use a command) and that the sheer quantity of material available can make it difficult to find things. https://forum.profantasy.com/discuss...d-in-one-place has quick links and examples for a lot of their annual content. The Humble Bundle offering is likely worth it for the bitmap symbol assets alone, even if you never use the software. If you do want to try the software, I highly recommend planning to spend a few hours reading the getting started documentation and/or watching some of the many online videos. There are a fair number of what I will describe as "unexpected features" in the software that may prevent you from getting much out of it if you don't. The key to cutting through most of the unexpected behavior is to watch the status line for what the software is expecting and to right-click on things if you think you're stuck (for example, the primary command completion concept "Do It" is hiding on a context menu for the main drawing).

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    If you have questions about what's available in CC3+, try asking at the ProFantasy forum at https://forum.profantasy.com for what's usually a pretty quick response.
    The two potentially biggest issues with CC3+ are that the software is a bit of an old-fashioned CAD program (use a command and then select things instead of select things and use a command) and that the sheer quantity of material available can make it difficult to find things. https://forum.profantasy.com/discuss...d-in-one-place has quick links and examples for a lot of their annual content. The Humble Bundle offering is likely worth it for the bitmap symbol assets alone, even if you never use the software. If you do want to try the software, I highly recommend planning to spend a few hours reading the getting started documentation and/or watching some of the many online videos. There are a fair number of what I will describe as "unexpected features" in the software that may prevent you from getting much out of it if you don't. The key to cutting through most of the unexpected behavior is to watch the status line for what the software is expecting and to right-click on things if you think you're stuck (for example, the primary command completion concept "Do It" is hiding on a context menu for the main drawing).
    I see, i just wonderd due to seeing it in the Bundel, so what other Software would you suggest? My main interest is the ability to create Battlemaps fitting for a 40k RPG with it being a one time Purchase.

I suspect that your biggest impediment for your project will be finding suitable assets. I'm moderately familiar with CC3+ and you asked about it, so I suggested some additional resources for it (it has a lot of dungeon-style and overland-style elements that are suitable for many uses with a whole lot more available). I don't really have a suggestion for a specific tool to do what you're looking for because I don't really do a lot of mapping myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas.Haischberger@gmx.de View Post
    I see, i just wonderd due to seeing it in the Bundel, so what other Software would you suggest? My main interest is the ability to create Battlemaps fitting for a 40k RPG with it being a one time Purchase.

I would suggest Dungeondraft for your purposes, if you are looking for a versatile and easy to use program for battle maps.

There's really not much out there for gothic/dark sci-fi assets. I guess I should add that to my list of things to create. DungeonDraft is a great easy program to use though with a large asset creator base.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!