Thread: Fantasy Map Commission Request - Repost

Post Fantasy Map Commission Request - Repost

Hello cartographers!

I originally posted this in the Member Introductions forum, but this forum seems a more appropriate place to post this.

My name is Nathan and I'm a lifelong map enthusiast with a love and appreciation for both historical and fantasy maps.

I joined this guild after I was encouraged to do so by a talented map artist named Francesca Baerald. I reached out to her to see if I could commission her talents to recreate a map for me. Her workload won't allow her to take on any extra work, but she recommended I join this guild to see if any of the talented map artists here would be willing to take on my commission request.

Attached is an image of a map from the TV show, The Magicians. I'd like to see if I could commission someone in this community to make a recreation of it.

fillory-map.JPG
    Click image for larger version.

It's such a beautiful fantasy map and I've been unable to find it anywhere for purchase. I would love a custom, handcrafted copy of the map for personal use.

If any of the talented map artists here are interested in taking on this commission, I'd be happy to further discuss timing and payment.

Thank you!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Looks like a cool job, but I'm terminally bad at emulating other people's styles, so if you want an accurate recreation in the style of the show's map I'm probably not the right one for it. Still, I'm sure there'll be plenty of takes. And welcome to the forums, by the way!

You might want to check out Ifrix, if Francesca is not available. They do some beautiful soft, watercolour-esque styles that could well suit the project. You can find their showcase thread here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=52171

You're welcome to check out my work as well, but my style is further from Francesca, and like Wired I am not really able to (nor do I really want to) try and emulate her or anyone else's personal style. But you can find links to my website and socials on my signature below, if interested. I loved The Magicians, both the original novels and the TV series, flawed as they both could be at times.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi! How are you?

I'm interested! And if you think one of my styles would suite the map you want, then let me know, and we can discuss the finer details!

A brief portion of my portfolio is on Artstation.

My email is omriwithhope [at] gmail.com (Just swap the " [at] " with an @.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Looks like a cool job, but I'm terminally bad at emulating other people's styles, so if you want an accurate recreation in the style of the show's map I'm probably not the right one for it. Still, I'm sure there'll be plenty of takes. And welcome to the forums, by the way!
    Hello! Thank you for your reply. I'm happy to be here!

Absolutely, the soft watercolor style is what of my favorite things about this map, so I definitely want to commission someone who can accurately recreate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    You might want to check out Ifrix, if Francesca is not available. They do some beautiful soft, watercolour-esque styles that could well suit the project. You can find their showcase thread here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=52171

You're welcome to check out my work as well, but my style is further from Francesca, and like Wired I am not really able to (nor do I really want to) try and emulate her or anyone else's personal style. But you can find links to my website and socials on my signature below, if interested. I loved The Magicians, both the original novels and the TV series, flawed as they both could be at times.
    Hey, Kellerica! Thank you so much for your reply.

Wow, Ifrix's work is beautiful, and their art style is very similar to the watercolor style of the map. I will have to reach out to them.

Your work is beautiful as well, truly incredible, however my goal is to have a physical, hand drawn, exact recreation of the original map (or as close to it as possible) for framing.

Glad to hear your a fellow fan of the Magicians. It's one of my all time favorite shows (definitely flawed at times). The show is always at its best when the characters are in Fillory. Next, I want to get my hands on replica copies of the Fillory and Further series. haha

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hi! How are you?

I'm interested! And if you think one of my styles would suite the map you want, then let me know, and we can discuss the finer details!

A brief portion of my portfolio is on Artstation.

My email is omriwithhope [at] gmail.com (Just swap the " [at] " with an @.
    Thank you for your reply, XCali.

My ultimate goal is to have a handmade, physical exact replica/recreation (or as close to exact as possible) of the map to frame and hang on the wall. The work you showcase looks mainly digital (or looks digital, sometimes I can't tell the difference between print and digital art these days), do you have any examples of your physical, hand-drawn work? Also, do you think you are able to recreate the exact style of the map?

Guild Journeyer

Hello! I'd love to work with you on the project! You can find my portfolio and contact info on www.strigunart.com

Hope to hear from you!

Cheers!

Wonderful! I just messaged you via your website. Look forward to discussing further. Thank you!

This commission has been taken! Thank you to everyone who showed interest in my request. So much amazing talent here!