Thread: Maps of Rinrin, The Mainland and Tretar

Wip Maps of Rinrin, The Mainland and Tretar

Hey! First post here!

I wanted to share a map I created based on a paint peel in the wall of my backyard, after +2 years without doing a map. I wanted to try a different approach to create this one, using new methods and tools, mixing a bit of realism with traditional fantasy maps. I discovered Wilbur and mixed it with some Photoshop and Blender. I got hyped with the result that I decided to keep going detailing the world and going with the detailed maps of the regions/nations and some drawings/sketches of the places. I started with Rinrin, west to east.

C&C are much appreciated 🙌🏻

map_4_fin_low.jpg rinrin_map_wip5.jpg

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hi raanrola!

Excellent work you've submitted! This happens to be my absolute favourite style of map, the so-called atlas-style. I highly admire your topography, choice of colours, and the "folded paper" effect which really adds a nice final touch. Did you follow Miguel's process when designing the topography? (I can definitely see you've been tinkering with Wilbur at least.)

The only constructive criticism I could offer is to smooth out your mountain contours, perhaps by adding more layers of elevation. That is, unless you specifically intended to create a "terraced" look. I know there's a tool in Wilbur called "deterrace," but I find it takes too long, especially when you're working with a 21 megapixel file. Not entirely necessary, though, and I think for a first post, this definitely beats my first CG map--by far!

Congrats and keep on mapping!

Peter

Thanks Peter for your comments. And yes, I've been learning to use Wilbur and improving the way I generate mountains (guided by Miguel and ShortValleyHiker methods)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
    I know there's a tool in Wilbur called "deterrace,"
    In what menu is it? I couldn't find it.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Yes, ShortValleyHiker has some amazing techniques. Probably one of the most realistic on the Web.

By the way, deterrace can be found by clicking on the Filter main menu, and choosing "Fill." It's the second option.

Hope that helps.

Peter