Thread: Sojourna - The Desert Planet

Wip Sojourna - The Desert Planet

Sorra MapPNG.pngSorra Map - CE.pngGrayscale.png

Above, I have the base map and the map with the Coriolis Effect applied to the surface.

I used contour maps because I felt it was the best way to map the desert.

In short, the desert planet was once a vibrant and green world where there were world spanning empires. However, 1000 years ago, a great and horrific war led to a negative feedback loop that caused the earth to die down to its current state.

What I am struggling with right now is rivers. I've done rivers a few times but I can't seem to find any I am happy with and now I want to turn to some experts on what they think my rivers should be. Please help as I have been struggling for the passed few days on this and a few suggestions would be wonderful.

Where the rivers will be will depend on where your precipitation is, so that would be the first thing to figure out. Since this planet is so different from earth, you may even want to try using ExoPlaSim to figure out precipitation and go from there. To a first approximation, given that there's so little surface water, rivers will be largely confined to isolated regions downwind from your seas.

I've never heard of Exoplasim. Do you have a link?

Yeah sure, it's a climate simulator that you can find here. Installing and using it isn't the most intuitive thing in the world, but there area really good instructions and use scripts over on Worldbuilding Pasta.