Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naunberg - a town in the western mountains

Map Naunberg - a town in the western mountains

It’s been only a few… years, i guess, since my last town mapping attempt. Good old Lunburg has had a very long sleep in my drawers, and by now I will probably not get back to it as it feels outdated in a lot of ways. However recently, I felt like drawing a town again, and I remembered about my little not-at-all fleshed out ‚region map‘ into which I back then attempted to integrate all the smaller and larger places I drew.
    This region (unnamed) consisted mostly of a gentle hilly middle region with lots of small stream valleys and a main river (unnamed as well), and it was surrounded by a large mountain ridge (guess what, it’s unnamed). However, I always had the idea of turning that region into an island, making that mountain ridge mark the north and west coast of the island and thus creating a very rough and very different region along the seaside slopes of those mountains. And this is where I felt o could get back to drawing places.

The new map is gonna be a rather small town on said steeply sloped west coast. The region isn’t overly wealthy and on top there’s not much space for a vast town layout, so the place will be very dense. Regarding this aspect I am taking inspiration from medieval towns in Austria and Switzerland which consist of ring-shaped houses built along the town wall, creating a single square or rarely a very simple road network, the latter caused by secondary housing built onto parts of the square in order to make better use of the limited intramural space. Towns like Kitzbühel in Tyrol or Wil in the Saint Gall region in northern Switzerland are examples for this type of town.
    For the buildings I’m mainly gonna look at late medieval Switzerland, means things are gonna look quite similar to my older towns, except that the extreme density requires a few adaptations to the usual scheme. What I’ve got done so far is a sketched town layout and a few example house to show in which direction things will go.

4AD461CD-F094-4E6D-B744-AD9DC0EA8831.jpeg

It’s been such a long time, but I’m very motivated to once again get a town going

Church and churchyard are done.

0E901452-3EBA-45DF-B4D7-9F3862B3308A.jpeg

This looks great so far and it's also great to see you back mapping. I look forward to seeing the continued progress on this one.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

As always, I'm drooling to see more. Your style is among my absolute favorites, I'm just a total sucker for those tiny details.

IR

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I love your style

Thank you very much for the kind words and the warm welcome back also

A little more progress, the front row is almost done.

DE4CBCA4-ECA2-4820-BFDF-E1D19A2BA37A.jpeg

Oh wow! This is really fantastic. I love the architectural detail you can get with this almost “side view.”

Very pretty

I love this, it is so pretty!

Thanks you all, once again, very much for the kind words, it really keeps me going

Oh wow! This is really fantastic. I love the architectural detail you can get with this almost “side view.”
    My approach is a completely architectural one. That’s why i could never be satisfied with having only a top-down view of a place. It may define a town‘s layout, but not its look.

I have a bit more progress to show, as I just finished the ‚middle blocks‘ of the town. Those are a secondary development to make better use of the space within the walls; they grew from stall rows that gradually became permanent establishments and then houses. By the time depicted in this map, this development has long come to a finish, to a point where these middle blocks now contain some of the best houses in the town, built from stone and rising up almost like towers. For better efficiency the roofs of this block are not full two-sided roofs, but instead back-to-back leant-to roofs that allow for larger roof space and hence more storage space. Some of the houses also have passage arcades on the ground floor, allowing then to grow even further in the public road space on the upper levels.

A05BDC0A-A278-47B5-8DE3-7E9EA1CEC3F2.jpeg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast