Thread: City of Ivaton and the region around it. WIP

Default City of Ivaton and the region around it. WIP

I started a new project just the other day: redrawing one of my region maps in a larger digital format. The reasoning is rather simple: I want more detail. I just finished the Eastern Gate, Undereast Village, and the Six Islands.
    Here is some backstory:
    ---------------
    Ivaton is a city in the heart of the kingdom. It is an important trade hub as it controls travel on the Tiha River. Over the years, the city slowly expanded over the Six Islands and the eastern bank of the river. After the terrible Massacre of the Trout Bridge, the 8th Duke of Ivaton built 30-foot-tall walls surrounded by a 10-foot-deep ditch filled with water from the river to create a fortified position around the Eastern Gate. He also decreed that no traveller would pass through the gates after dark. Quickly after this several large Inns were erected near the drawbridge to shelter all the travellers that missed the last call.
    Under the fortifications, the small village of Undereast sprawls on the banks of the reaver, stretching way down to the South-Chain Keep. The village is comprised mainly of farms, growing all sorts of vegetables, and fisherman huts. Some of the fishermen also would double as a ferryman for late travelers during the nights. This is a rather risky proposition as the punishment is harsh, and the River Guard is vigilant.
    The Six Islands are famous for the craftsmen and traders who reside on them. The river trade improves every year, and the large barges capable of moving under the tall river bridges carry all sorts of valuable timber, metals, and spirits down the river and return with a full load of grain and oils.

Estern Gate of Ivaton.jpg

This project is a redraw of this map:
    Ivaton - side photo 1.jpg

Definitely a step up from just plain boxes.

Looking forward to the city proper!

IR

Progress update

The city walls are more or less completed. Most of the forest areas are outlined. A new village appears near the South gates, filled with small estates and animal farms. Two clay mines in the hills nearby and Brick Mills near them. Lots of workers housing for the miners, mill workers, weavers, butchers and so on.

Ivaton 2024-09-07 16_36_03.JPG