Thread: Help to find mountains like that

Default Help to find mountains like that

I saw a map with this type of mountains somewhere in the forum, but cannot find it anymore, i want someone to tell me how to do this mountains (this example its from am iddle earth map but i saw this mountains here in another map) Maybe anyone (or the author) can help me because i want to make a map and use this style to make mountains.

thx in advance, guys.

mapa fanmade escaneado.png

It's a lighted distance field from the wavy edges of the mountains. Your software might call it any number of things (Bevel is a popular term), but the idea is that the software calculates the distance from the edges of the mountain area, treats that distance as a height value, calculates an illumination result based on the slope of the local height data and the lighting direction, and then modulates that illumination by any existing colors to get the final result.

If you're using a height field editor, then the distance field may be referred to by terms like SDF (signed distance field), EDM (Euclidean Distance Metric), or Mound. You'd blend that result to your existing height field and shade the result in whatever way your software allows.

What software are you using?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Member

I think Tear's Saderan Tutorial can produce mountains similar to this? Might have to up the ante when doing the 'peaks' section.

Thx a lot guys.