Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eldoran World Map (WIP, taking advice)

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    I like it! I think it looks much better. I assume you checked the poles as well?
    Oh yes, I lined up the poles on both sides and tried seeing them as globe in my head (I couldn't get GProjector to run on my PC lol, it was asking for Java). Even if they look a little off, it's ok, the story and games I mean to create in this world probably won't go that far north or south (unless I do a Mountains of Madness up there).

This looks much better! Out of curiosity did you map out tectonic plates? Not really a big deal one way or the other- much as I enjoy fiddling with geology and tectonic history I don't actually think it's necessary for most maps.

For some reason GProjector has completely ceased to function on my computer even with Java installed- the workaround I found was the Flexify photoshop plugin by Flaming Pear. It's paid but you can do a free trial especially if you'll only be using it to confirm things for the world map. Either way great start! Looking forward to following this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiluchi View Post
    This looks much better! Out of curiosity did you map out tectonic plates?
    As a matter of fact, I did. Might not be the most realistic thing but it did the job. I'd love to know what you think, specially since I took a good look at your Rheia map, which looks incredible by the way. Some plates might be off cause I moved the landmass a bit but haven't touched the plates yet. And blue means convergent while red is divergent. I haven't mapped volcanic activity yet, but you can assume which islands have them.

Arcaeli Tectonics Sketch.jpg

I unfortunately won't have any access to Photoshop anytime soon :/. It's way too expensive for me at the moment. I've been doing this map on Clip Paint Studio which I bought the permanent license a while ago.

image_2024-09-03_120502279.png

Little update, I haven't done much work on this cause life, but I started with the mountains. I'm gonna finish them fist since they might be the biggest factor in determining all other biomes and the history of civilizations.

Nice display for the continents. And those mountains looks really good!

Fun to see another eldoran world (as often, we reuse same names, same influences, probably). When I chose the name, it was inspired by El Dorado & Oldorando (in Brian Aldiss Helliconia), but I discovered afterward it was already used (among other thing for a manga like universe) .

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice display for the continents. And those mountains looks really good!

Fun to see another eldoran world (as often, we reuse same names, same influences, probably). When I chose the name, it was inspired by El Dorado & Oldorando (in Brian Aldiss Helliconia), but I discovered afterward it was already used (among other thing for a manga like universe) .
    Funny thing is, I'm actually glad someone pointed out Eldoran was already used, cause it had no meaning before. I just made something that sounded fantasy in my head, but like you said, we probably have the same influences.

In the end, it forced me to actually think about a name, and that's how I came up with Arcaeli, The Ark of Heaven, because what is a livable planet if not an ark that travels in the sky?

Thank you for the compliments!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12