Thread: Hogenburg: A Free 16th Century Urban Cartography Brush Set (Over 700 brushes)

Link Hogenburg: A Free 16th Century Urban Cartography Brush Set (Over 700 brushes)

Hey everyone. It’s been a while! I’ve had a…uh, interesting first half of the year. (Details here and here.) Hoping the latter half of 2024 settles down a bit. I finally managed to get back to a set of brushes I started working on back in March, and I’m excited to release them today.

Named after Frans Hogenburg, a prolific 16th-century Flemish and German copper etcher and engraver. This set comes from the upper and lower sheets of Ierusalem, a depiction of 16th-century Jerusalem taken from Volume IV of Civitates Orbis Terrarum. Like many of my previous urban sets, this too is filled with depictions of city walls, blocks, castles, and buildings of interest, perfect for quickly laying out a city of your creation. Hogenburg also included a ton of vignettes of various historical and biblical scenes; when separated, you get a ton of individual figures, giving you the ability to craft deeper lore in your maps.

Hogenburg can also be downloaded as a pack of individual PNGs organized by folders, the same way I manage the ABR files. This should make using my brushes with tools like Wonderdraft much more manageable—no more extracting symbols from an enormous PNG!

You can read more about Hogenburg and download the set on my blog.

Detailed example:

Some of the symbols:

Hogenburg in use:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 08-27-2024 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fixing the weird issues that happened with the images

Another great set!

I commend your dedication to keeping the history alive! These are soooo good.

IR

This set is really great, like others in the past. Thanks for sharing it

Thanks, everyone!