Thread: The fascinating lands of the Lost World

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

For that large continent, take a look at the information about the climate zones of Pangaea. Basically, current models say that it would have massive monsoons and the central interior would be about the driest place you can think of. The coasts would be drenched regularly and the interior might go decades without any rain.

One of the best things about fiction is that it's not the real world. We don't know for sure what tectonics would look like on a world that's a different size than Earth (or even slightly different composition or rotation rate or lunar configuration). There are lots of guesses because it's ultimately a simple physics problem related to heat flow, but there are many potentially confounding issues, especially if you have a context with the possibility for world-altering agencies (Sayeth the Lord: Oh yeah, well I'll just reduce the friction along these three faults and you'll see what happens Real Soon Now!)

Tectonics can tell you about where things are likely to occur (ores, etc.) and how the topography is likely to look (mountains will occur on Earth mostly at plate boundaries). Solar class, age, orbital parameters, and continental distribution will tell you a lot about how climates are likely to be distributed. Throw in one little oopsie (say, a large inter-planar gate to an elemental plane of water at the top of a mountain in the worst desert in the world) and you may find that you suddenly have a large river in an implausible place.

My point was mostly that pretty much anything will look plausible at first glance and can often be written off as imprecision in cartography. In my experience, the only folks who go super deeply into tectonics are the "my world is exactly like Earth except that the names are different and I don't like how this mountain range here runs on Earth because it offended my ancestors so I'll flatten it to make my people more important" kind of nutjobs. More or less everyone else tends towards the "my stories are mostly about stuff where all that's important are that there are mountains of dangerous stuff separating the heroes from their goal" camp.
    Last edited by waldronate; 10-06-2024 at 10:53 AM.