Thread: [Award Winner] Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP(and PS)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant

jfrazierjr,

I am new to mapping, but I have got to complete drawing maps for work. Finding your tutotials on layers, I believe, will help me get through some rough learning curves putting density on these maps. There are a few things that I have to learn, e.g. controlling the blending of shapes/colour onto the background, blending of shapes/colour of the next top layer, etc. This piece on layer is quite helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ransw View Post
    jfrazierjr,

I am new to mapping, but I have got to complete drawing maps for work. Finding your tutotials on layers, I believe, will help me get through some rough learning curves putting density on these maps. There are a few things that I have to learn, e.g. controlling the blending of shapes/colour onto the background, blending of shapes/colour of the next top layer, etc. This piece on layer is quite helpful. Thanks.

Thanks for posting Ransw and welcome to the guild. Be sure to pop over to the Member Introduction forum and post a note saying hi. Also, once you start on your map(s) start one or more threads in the appropriate Work in Progress forum(s) and we will be more than happy to help.

Finally, please be sure to rate any tutorial threads use use. I would also highly suggest going through the Regional Map tutorial by RobA as there a TONS of useful techniques for GIMP and you can really learn a lot.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.