Thread: CC3/CD3 Questions about scaling and city maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I always start by adding water (rivers, lakes and the sea) to get some general contours. Then I lay down the first road, the road near which the village/town/city originally started. I will then have a starting point and will add houses, roads and walls where needed. It's the same process as in my tutorials. Once you get the hang of CC3 you will understand it won't really matter if you forgot certain features. You can always add extra water later for example or remove some water. Although it's generally best to get the important land features in from the start.

I never use the grid in my city maps although it could be of some use there of course. I did use the grid in my "dungeon" maps (I mapped three levels of a keep in one of my cities: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3000) mostly as eye candy. Most of the time people use a grid because they want to print a map and use it as a board to play with.

If you have anymore questions be sure to post them on the forum. Also post your creations if you can. You can get some criticism then and learn from it, as I did with the dozens of maps I posted on this forum (taking pointers from the kind people here I really improved the quality of my work).
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 03-16-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...