Thread: World Map WIP in GIMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    @Jykke - there are no effect layers in gimp.

-Rob A>
    Ah, dammit I guess I thought too much of GIMP then, as it said to be a photoshop clone

EDIT: There seem to be some type of plugins that try to emulate layer effects.. (including outer glow)
    features listed here http://registry.gimp.org/node/186
    Don't know if it works, but.. might be worth a try
    EDIT2: Actually RobA had already posted on this http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2742 x)
    Last edited by Jykke; 03-20-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

And Lo! there were Mountains!

No... my work on this project of mine never stalled, was never "put on hold", and certainly never abandonned. It just takes a very long time for me to accomplish even simple tasks in GIMP. (No joke: it took me over an hour to run Image>Scale command to get the image down to 75% of original size to fit in CG's pixel constraints; just set up, run, then go do something else that doesn't require computing power for an hour; but a minor example of the troubles I go through for this work of love.)

So, yeah, there's still a lot to do... I'm probably going to redo the oceans/seas/shallows coloring at some point. Forests, deserts and jungles are another nightmare waiting for me in the near future. I'm not satisfied with the foothill coloration in these mountains, particularly those around the "sandstone" style mountains (which I tried to "cover up" with something that just didn't work the way I'd planned).

So... anyway... C&C welcome, but know that the degree to which I can affirmatively respond to C&C is limited by the aforementioned computing shortages.

So, without further adieu, I give to you the latest update in this infrequently updated, as-yet-unnamed project of mine:

Soul of Ages World Map 02-draft v1-7-Mountains Complete1.jpg
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...