Thread: Dungeon tiles - a small project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nice Stuff Torstan! One question though... how come the smallish corner blocks are significantly smaller that the ones making up the main wall tiles?

EDIT: I also noticed that those tiles have a lighter backdrop. I rather like the burnt umber tone on the ones used in the corner as well as the smaller block size.
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 04-03-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It's the inevitable result of making tiles by hand - there's some variation. I actually made the straight wall first and the corners last. I also like the newer corner tile wall style and back. I might have to re-do the straight-line wall for consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    It's the inevitable result of making tiles by hand - there's some variation. I actually made the straight wall first and the corners last. I also like the newer corner tile wall style and back. I might have to re-do the straight-line wall for consistency.

Understood... I have not looked at this in detail in a few weeks, so did not know if you had different versions that were slightly different in style. I too like the corner stones (smaller, look better in this case) as well as the background with the more burnt umber look to it.

It's not a big deal, but would be nice if you swapped them out. Perhaps long term, if you feel like it and can find the time, you could go back and add some corners in the style of the big blocks as that seems like a larger more permanent/stable structure might be made out of (castle wall for example.)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey Torstan,

thanks for coming up with this so quickly its really awesome, I have one small problem though. Having followed the instructions and printed it all out. My tiles are only coming out at 3/4 of an inch not 1 inch. I have double checked the resolution grid size etc and everything seems ok being set to 100ppi. It all looks fine on screen.

Any help appreciated. Not sure if this was the best place to post, feel free to move/delete so it does not clutter up your great tutorial.

Thanks

Can you post the jpg, and the .xcf file to here? You'll have to zip the .xcf file and upload it as a .zip, but that should be fine. Then I can go into your file and figure out where it is going wrong.

Here are the files as requested.. thanks for your continued patience with this noob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your image is perfectly good. THe problem is that your printer is shrinking it to fit on the page. You need to either crop the image tightly so that it fits inside the margins of an A4 or letter page (go to Image->Canvas Size and pick 11x8 inches and make sure the image fits).

If you need larger images than will fit on one sheet of A4, use posterazor to cut up the image into printer friendly chunks.

Looking good! THe only price I charge for the use of these is that after you've made your tiles and used them in the game that you take a photo and post it here