View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1362. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.30%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

548 40.23%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.25%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.46%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.16%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.44%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.80%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.41%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.19%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

385 28.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Ok here we are. My god I have had some problems with the video conversion tonight. Dont know why but had to use the Cinipak thing, convert to H264 and then into XviD before it was happy to play it. I think I have broken my MediaPlayer....

Anyway, the one minute path in a forest. Heres the vid. Took another 45 secs to put the arrow and text down.

Vid1

I then went on and added 45 secs more of dressing...

Vid2

...and then another two minutes adding some forest fluff and some characters to the scene.

Vid3

So what this is saying is that for a whopping 3-4 mins of effort you can get a pretty decent battle map with characters placed down and it looks pretty reasonable zoomed up to character scale too - which is the whole point of using the zoom browser feature of a mapping app.

I have also used the preview mode in a few places just to show in action.

Hope thats explained it a bit more.

EDIT -- Just gotta fiddle with it a bit more. Prob half hour in total. Pic below.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-30-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Anyway, the one minute path in a forest. Heres the vid. Took another 45 secs to put the arrow and text down.

Vid1
    Do you have to use a path as a graphic, or can you draw your own? I'm assuming that you are using shortcut keys to switch between the various functions and windows?

This doesn't show anything when it plays.

...and then another two minutes adding some forest fluff and some characters to the scene.

Vid3

So what this is saying is that for a whopping 3-4 mins of effort you can get a pretty decent battle map with characters placed down and it looks pretty reasonable zoomed up to character scale too - which is the whole point of using the zoom browser feature of a mapping app.

I have also used the preview mode in a few places just to show in action.

Hope thats explained it a bit more.

EDIT -- Just gotta fiddle with it a bit more. Prob half hour in total. Pic below.
    Looks pretty good when it was finished. The only parts that bug me, is the not knowing what graphic I am pulling unless I have everything printed out to compare names to, or have the names memorized. Also, the possibility that there isn't an actual "brush" tool that allows me to draw what I want.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Software Dev/Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Do you have to use a path as a graphic, or can you draw your own?
    From above:

Your right, it does not have drawing tools you do have to make tokens with a raster package.

Blog Entries

Yes thats right. The path shown was an icon which is in itself made up from about 10 bits of path each of which was a drawn/scanned image. You can 'draw' paths out using a lot of bits of path but its not a vectorized line or area tool with fill like MT has got. That particular path comes with the box set. You can make up more like it yourself. I'll post another vid to explain.

I'll try to get a Vid2(b) version with a different codec. MediaCoder was playing silly buggers last night. I lost track of what codecs I used in the end. It ought to be XviD - VLC should play it ok and still does from the link for me.