Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I'm working on translating this to the GIMP, and whereas I think I'm pretty close, I'd like to post up some step-by-step pics to request advice from everyone on some steps that aren't translating as well as others.

Should I post that up here, in its own tut thread, or in a WIP thread (and then post up the finished product here)? Don't want to bogart credit, but don't want to hijack this thread, either. So I'm in a quandary. Help?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Put it here, sort of as a one-stop-shop collecting place. When you finally get it done we'll put it in the first post of the thread.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ok, so here's the translation up to the mountains, which is the first place I'm having trouble getting it to look as similar as I'd like. The steps I'm following are in the pdf, and here are pics to this point following the PS tutorial (2nd pic) and the translation (1st pic). The zip contains gradient and palette files for gimp, as well.

Specifically, I don't like how "hard" the gimp mountains are compared to the original, but I'm not sure how to go about softening them; gimp's bump map works very differently from PS's bevel.
    Last edited by Gidde; 10-11-2009 at 10:15 AM.