Thread: How to get your rivers in the right place

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More interesting stuff. I came across this image at Wikipedia (image has been released to public domain):

Ocean_drainage.png

This shows all the continental divides in the world. Of note are the grey areas. These represent endorheic basins that do not drain to the ocean (link):

An endorheic basin ... is a closed drainage basin that retains water and allows no outflow to other bodies of water such as rivers or oceans. [I]n an endorheic basin, rain (or other precipitation) that falls within it does not flow out but may only leave the drainage system by evaporation and seepage...

Endorheic regions ... are closed hydrologic systems. Their surface waters drain to inland terminal locations where the water evaporates or seeps into the ground, having no access to discharge into the sea... Endorheic water bodies include some of the largest lakes in the world, such as the Aral Sea and the Caspian Sea...[3]
    I was stunned at the area these comprise! The river police might need to go back to school

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Interesting. I'd like to see rivers superimposed on top to see how that comes out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps