Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

I redid another one, and I found out where my error was most likely. I must have messed up on one of the steps.

Edit: After getting to the same point, I still have no clue how to proceed from this point on. I believe the following is problematic in the description to my brain.

Add a layer style;

You say that, and then you go on to number off a bunch of colors and what not, but you dont explain where they go persay. Also, I'd like to point out that I had no issue with the previous command which made sure that I had the correct number of layers, and as to how they were labeled. Are you meaning to say that in the order you mentioned those layers in the previous command, are to be done in order, one at a time with the current command I'm stuck on?
    Last edited by TheJayde; 01-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is what step 21 says:

Ctrl-click on the “base” layer (in the layers palette) to load it as a selection (in newer versions of Photoshop you have to ctrl-click on the thumbnail in the layers palette). Select > Inverse then hit the delete key then deselect. Add a layer style of gradient overlay; we’ll use 4 colors with 5 stops as follows: color 1 at the 5% position is flat white, color code FFFFFF (rgb 255, 255, 255); color 2 at the 35% position is a dark olive green, color code 405018 (rgb 64, 80, 24); color 3 at the 60% position is the same dark olive green; color 4 at the 85% position is a dark flesh, color code DAC094 (rgb 218, 192, 14; and color 5 at the 100% position is a papyrus, color code F0E6BE (rgb 240, 230, 190). Set the blend mode of the gradient to hard light with 100% opacity. Next we’ll add a layer style of outer glow: use a light blue, any will do for now and you can change it later but I use 40C8FF (rgb 64, 200, 255). Set the blend mode of the outer glow to screen at 25% opacity and a size of 11. If you want a lighter gradient then add a layer style of color overlay of white and set the blend mode to soft light and then turn down the opacity until you are happy with it.

So far it looks like your fine and have just finished step 20. I'm not sure what's the problem here. Layers styles are the button at the bottom right that looks like fx...since I'm using an older version of PS mine is a white f on a black circle.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

I figured it out. For some reason, I couldnt find the words gradiant overlay in the document. Though It's all good and this tutorial has given me a lot of education in the creation of maps and the like. I even took your idea and tweaked a lot of the ideals put out in yours. Like, I made my mountains more prominent as an example. I did that by copying the mountain ranges twice, and one of them had the color overlay of pink, so that the other and all the other layers balanced it out to a more solid brown color.

Anywho, when Im not being tardus, the tutorial works great. Thanks a lot!

Guild Novice

The more I look at this and the more I do, the only thing that I have an issue with with this map style is that the mountains and hills aren't defined as well as I would like them to be, and forests aren't defined at all. Also my world has north being closer to the equator and there is a lot of jungle involved, so the gradient overlay doesn't really suit a jungle region. Great if you want tons of desert though, which means on the other continent of my world, I am likely to use this style for it, but until then.

Edit: As I think about it, I could just erase the areas that I wanted to be jungle in the Base layer, and build a base 2 layer in the areas where the jungle is going to come into play.
    Last edited by TheJayde; 01-11-2010 at 07:17 PM.