Hello. I have a question about placing the rings around the continent. having some trouble getting it to work. here is the step.

Now we need to put in the rings around the landmasses so reset the colors to black and white. Click on
the “land” layer and create a new layer. On the layers palette ctrl-click on the “land” layer…this loads
this layer’s selection. Select > Modify > Expand = 1. Fill with white and deselect. On the layers palette,
change the fill to 0%. Add a layer style of stroke, 1-pixel, black, outside. On the layers palette, right
click on this layer and choose “Copy layer style”. Create a new layer and ctrl-click on “Layer 1”, Select
> Modify > Expand = 2. Fill with white and deselect. On the layers palette, right click on this layer (it
should be Layer 2) and choose “Paste layer style”.

i have a new layer above the land layer but when I try to ctrl-click to load selection nothing happens and select > modify> expand is not available. I am assuming that there has to be a selection of some sort. what selection am I suppose to load? what is suppose to be selected?

thanks