Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Mapping Software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm currently running photoshop and I love it, but my computer does not. It's a bit processor heavy for the poor thing. Does anyone know if Gimp is a little easier on the computer to run? Thank you!

Blog Entries

I don't know how it is compared to photoshop, but GIMP gives my 7 year old laptop a stroke about once every 3 days or so...

then again if I didn't have like 5 of the 4000 x 4000 images open, maybe it won't....
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected Brian McBride's Avatar

Hello, I'm Brian and I'm new here. I'm an author and find it very convenient to create maps for the fantasy worlds I create. I'm fairly fluent in GIMP and do not use photoshop simply because I cannot afford it. What I'm looking for are some tutorials for rendering maps in GIMP. Could anyone direct me? Thanks.

Probably a good place to start is RobA's tutorial on creating an artistic map in GIMP - its probably the most read tutorial thread on the board. Note the search box at the top right of this site - just enter "GIMP tutorials" and you'll find a bunch.

I noticed your thread on ENWorld boards, and was going to point you here, but seen someone already did in that thread. Good luck in your search for a cartographer, but I'd recommend, if you are somewhat familiar with GIMP to follow the tutorials, make your own map and save you some money! I do commissions too, but you can't afford me, and I'm too busy anyway. Good luck in your endeavors.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice

I've seen XYZ on a google search. As I stated in a post the other day I am looking for software and will look into this one. David

Is there a consensus of the best (combination of ease of use and best features?) mapping software? I am especially focused on interiors of fantasy settings such as dungeons and buildings, but would also like to be able to create nice overall maps.

Quote Originally Posted by lobex3 View Post
    Is there a consensus of the best (combination of ease of use and best features?) mapping software? .
    There are lots of opinions but nothing like a consensus. Each of us has his or her own favorite tools, and they make up a long list of alternatives.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

truly amazing resource guys!!!

where has this been all my gaming life?!

thanks for posting !

One more to add to the list... currently under development, with a Kickstarter campaign, but hopefully still of interest:

Title: Worldspinner
    Vendor: Worldspinner LLC
    Web Site: Worldspinner.com
    or the Kickstarter site: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-and-map-make
    Type: interative and rendered maps
    Focus: Fantasy RPGs
    Platform: Web based
    Price: free to try; pay for printed maps
    Description:
    Worldspinner makes it easy to create richly detailed maps of your own fantasy world in minutes. The tool creates an entire world (geology, climate, ecology) then populates it with people (cultures, nations, and cities) and if you like even adds adventure content (plots and points of interest on the map to explore). The focus is to make worldbuilding easy, by enabling the user to make broad choices that control the type of world being made, and to allow cities and points of interest to be easily added or altered, rather than to allow/require the user to provide every detail of the world by hand.

Blog Entries

old thread and one that is in need of updating , maybe start a new one ?

but in the meantime ....

it really comes down to WHAT one is doing and what TYPE of "map" one is making

with that in mind , I start with a 32 bit floating point image or a 16bit Unsigned image
    i find that when working on a 16 bit image that unsigned ( 0-65538 ) works better in most software than using a signed image ( -32768 to 32767 )
    and move that data into 32 bit float .

this reduces the software that can be used

Also most of the work on said maps tends to be in "Simple cylindrical" for a full planet
    Mercator for the areas around 45 to 85 north/south
    Polarstereographic for the two poles

so for my needs the "best software" is different than someone making a dungeon

ISIS3 ( yes it is mainly for THIS solar system and NOT the Earth )
    USGS Isis: Planetary Image Processing Software

GDAL
    GDAL: GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library

this has many variants like FW-tools that include Proj4
    FWTools: Open Source GIS/RS Binary Kit

----------------------

For viewing and over all image editing there is Nip2/Vips
    VipsWiki

it is like a cross of lotas123 and gimp
    the GUI " nip2" to the VIPS imaging library works a bit like a spread sheet
    BUT
    it handles 8 bit ( signed and unsigned)
    16 bit ( signed and unsigned)
    32 bit long and double
    32 bit float
    image data

there is also for working on 32bit images
    16 bit can be done with imagemagick Q16
    BUT
    This has REPLACED IM as a tool i use

"G'Mic"
    G'MIC - GREYC's Magic for Image Computing: An Open and Full-Featured Framework for Image Processing

as above it also handles images these forms
    bool | uchar | char | ushort | short | uint | int | ulong | long | float | double
    ( but you need to hack the current source code to RE ENABLE some of the little used formats )

you can also use gmic's math functions to run a polar transform on a map to work on the north/south poles

there is also Gimp 2.8 is still 8 bit
    sometime soon ??? Gimp3 will be out and that will handle 16 bit and i think 32 bit images

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast