Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about HP Laptops - incompatibility with Win 10 Creators Update

None of the cursor keys work. I can't get at any of that menu. Not the number pad arrows, or the ordinary cursor arrows.

Can you open up the laptop enough to unplug its internal disk drive?

If you do that it might do an appropriate search for other bootable disks. Might.
    Selden

I'm sorry Selden. This is the only machine I have. I'm too much of a woos to do anything to it that might damage it, and I don't know the first thing about the hardware.

I'm the kind of person who, on opening a delicate electronic assembly, will manage to find the only spring in its parts and accidentally trigger it to fly out and disappear over my shoulder, never to be seen again. Most usually, this is the only part of the device that no one sells as a separate spare part that can be easily replaced.

If I break this thing I lose all contact with you and everyone else, and it could be a while before I get it mended again.

A quick Web search found this page: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...ok/m-p/3437787

If I'm reading its instructions correctly, to get into the BIOS on a model 15, you're supposed to type on just the F1 key (or F10; not holding down the Fn key in either case) while it's powering on.

More details seem to be available at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110#N771
    Selden

Well, going on the instructions that Red linked to above, it should be possible to use this menu to access the boot settings so that I can turn off secure boot.

Since the instructions are directly from HP, I really don't think it was them who made it impossible for me to access the BIOS.

Is there any other way into the BIOS?

EDIT: ninjad by Selden

I'll have a read...
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-11-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I think I will remove that fan. Do you think the single fan would handle a hardcore MUD session then?

I'm nowhere near a power user these days. I don't do any online gaming any more. I ragequit WoW, TFC got overwhelmed by cheatbots and a lot of the MOH clans switched to COD which I didn't really like. They were the only things I played and I never got into anything since. I have the occasional game of TF2 for a laugh.
    Oh sure just crank that thing up to 5 Ghz so long as it stays at a blistering 96 degrees Celsius it'll be fine*. POWAH! The incredible beauty of super fast text, it'll be like the matrix.

(honestly who hasn't ragequit WoW, damn that game was irritating)

*Since the machine will turn off.

Mouse, do the instructions on this page help... This (supposedly) should set the machine to automatically enter the BIOS. I'm pretty sure I did this when I was installing Linux on my laptop.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

EDIT: Also, I don't watch reality TV but this thread is better than reality TV! The whole Guild's on the edge of their seats to see what happens next!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

LOL!

Well thanks to Selden's googling that first link he gave above, I just discovered the 'ape' method of getting into the BIOS - repeatedly hit the F10 key as the machine is starting up.

(it did feel a bit childish, I have to admit - a bit like I'd lost my rag with it and was just hitting it out of sheer spite, but it DID get me into the BIOS menu)

Don't kill me...

I disabled the secure boot, but then I forgot what else I was supposed to do, so I had to come back to read everyone's comments again

Having read your link, ChickPea, I would say that's the way its really supposed to be done - not hammering the F10 key to death!

Anyway.

I made the changes I thought I needed. As I said previously I disabled the secure boot, but this time I also altered the EUFI Boot order as shown here:

SDC12288.JPG

Then I saved it, allowed startup to continue so that I could shut the machine down properly again. When I rebooted it, however, I got...

Windows 10

Ok. So... bearing in mind what Red said about Windows never really shutting down, I shut down, pulled all the plugs out and removed the battery, then went for a cup of coffee. After about 10 minutes I put everything back together again and made sure the boot stick was plugged in firmly, then hit the ON button.

I got...

Windows 10

I think I did the stick right. I'm pretty certain I did. I followed Red's instructions exactly, and where he referred to a sheet of instructions on a link to another page, I followed them exactly as well.

This is the folder structure of the boot stick I made.

SDC12291.JPG

Does it look all right (I mean apart from the horrendous moiré patterns)?

Just thinking out loud here.

Did I move the wrong thing to the top of the boot list?

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast