Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Hey JEdward; Nice to see this on again. Are all the houses going to be the red brick color? seem a little monotone? Like the textural effect of the different fields, but not sure of the the randomness of them. The the dividing tree. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Arsheesh and joaodafi.
    Thanks also Barek and Max - I think you're hitting on the problem there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    I think it is the rest of map gives more of a hand drawn feel while they seem a bit too artificial..but that could well be only if you zoom in.
    With that being said the field that is SW from the circular building seems to me to fit with the map the best.
    I was trying to do something that would speed up this process but it does break with the style of the rest of the map. Alas. Sigh.
    I guess I will have to do them as originally planned. That's going to take longer but it should look more appropriate.
    I'll have to archive this field style though for some other maps.
    Thanks for the input. You reinforced what I think I already knew.

Snodsy - thank you sir. Regarding roof color, that discussion happened back on page 4 I think.
    I originally had much more varied roof colors and moved to terracotta.

Greeaaat ! So glad you keep working on this wonderful map.

Thanks Ilanthar. I couldn't let this one go. It's too big now.
    I've started redoing the fields and scrubby hill stuff.
    Doing this in a more hand drawn way takes a lot longer but this is looking better I think.
    The fields will be a little tougher as brush size is going to be an issue for getting any sort of defined field look.
    But we'll see how it goes.
    I have some time so I'm going to do as much as I can over the weekend.
    I know I won't finish but at least I should get a big portion done.
    That much closer to labels and text... a lot of text.
    Haerlech 03e_001crop.jpg

WOW, that's outstanding, beautiful job. looking forward to seeing the next installment Love the trees.

Thanks Snodsy.
    More work. I've never spent so long on just ground cover and ground effects.
    But I am satisfied with how the hand drawn stuff is coming out.
    Loads still to do. Have to do all the fields still.
    And realized I forgot to draw in some buildings... plus more trees. NO. sigh...
    Here's an update. Most work is in the top region.
    Haerlech 03e_002 by sirinkman.jpg

I love the texture this ground cover give you. You have the beautiful shading of the landforms, the outlined forests/cliffs/houses, then this texture, which is a new element.

What I'm having a little trouble wrapping my little brain around is - what is this texture representing?

Your trees have, lets say a 60-10 foot spread. So a small typically tree on your drawing has a approx. 10' crown. These textures are then about 1- 2 foot some 6 inches maybe smaller -- so are these to read as ground cover or small shrubs, perennials, grasses not sure?

So I like them, just not sure how to read them are they all the same? Just a thought for my little brain.

This is simply stunning work. It gets better every time I look at it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you ChickPea.
    Snodsy - Thanks. What you're asking about represents several types of ground cover and small shrubbery. Mostly lower to the ground sort of stuff.
    To do the fields and other ground plants I am down to working with 1-2 pixel size so I have constraints on how much detail I can pack in there.
    I looked back at them after reading your post and think that I could try to get some color variety in there. But... time and pixel size... will tell.
    So I did some more on field stuff. I'll have some more styles of fields before I'm done but this is the general look they will have.
    Haerlech 03e_003 crop.jpg

A bit more done. It's taking far longer than I'd anticipated to do these fields.
    Hoping I can finish fields this weekend but it's not looking likely.
    But... I like how they are turning out so that's something.
    Haerlech 03e_004 crop.jpg

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast