View Poll Results: What mapping software do you use? (multi select enabled)

Voters
1362. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raster (bought) [e.g. Photoshop, PaintShopPro, Painter]

726 53.30%
  • Raster (free) [e.g. GIMP]

548 40.23%
  • Vector (bought) [e.g. Illustrator, Corel Draw, Xara]

303 22.25%
  • Vector (free) [e.g. Inkscape]

265 19.46%
  • Vector (Symbol driven) [e.g. CC, Dunjinni]

329 24.16%
  • Online Generator [e.g. City Map Generator, Fractal World Generator]

115 8.44%
  • Fractal Generator [e.g. Fractal Terrains]

188 13.80%
  • 3d modelling [e.g. Bryce, Vue Infinite, Blender]

169 12.41%
  • Scanned hand drawn maps

452 33.19%
  • Drawing Tablet and pen [e.g. Wacom]

385 28.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Digital Cartography? Software General Information

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Started with Paint, then Microsoft PowerPoint (yes, really), and then found AutoRealm, which I only used a couple times and just didn't like. Got turned on to Dundjinni 5 or 6 years ago and used that exclusively for a couple years, then started to do post-Dundjinni work in GIMP (which I initially used just for photo retouching), and now use GIMP almost exclusively.

I used to use a mouse. Then I got a Bamboo Fun for Christmas, which I used for almost a year before my toddler got a hold of the pen and broke it. Desktop's in storage, so I'm relegated to my netbook (temporary housing necessity) and the touchpad, which sucks, or a mouse if I can swipe my wife's from time to time. I will gladly purchase another Bamboo when I can scrape the money together.

You can buy a replacement pen instead of having to buy an entirely new tablet: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-EP150E-B...363031&sr=1-12
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I use Adobe Photo shop as well as gimp.

I use GIMP, i also trying to learn blender.

I fiddle with google sketchup, but i can't seem to get the hang of it.

Most of my writing is done in Open office, as are most of my covers.
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

I rely on Adobe Photoshop Element 5.0
    And graph paper.
    In space...no one can hear you whine...
    Help me make more maps!

Check out http://rptools.net/

This is by far the most comprehensive campaign-building suite I've ever seen (and it's free!!!). It's ridiculously easy to use and there's even a tutorials website with video. There's even tools for managing initiative, tokens and dice-rolling (if you have people who are convinced that "their dice are cursed" as we sometimes do). It even functions as a server you can remote into so if you have sick friends that don't want to leave the house, they can connect in and play along from the couch at home.

I am using adobe photoshop because I'm more comfortable using it.

These are the tools I'll be using for my maps:

Paint Shop Pro 7: I bought this about 8 years ago when I started designing websites and, even though it is a bit old (), it still does the job for me. I'd love to try PhotoShop but the price is too much for my small wallet

Dundjinni: Received a copy of the Platinum Edition when it was first released to review and have kept using it ever since. Mainly small scale maps, but I did reproduce a keep from a Hellfrost scenario I ran (as part of the Triple Ace Games Demo Team) at UK Games Expo last year. Printed it out battlemap size, laminated it, taped it all together, and then cut out each room so I could place them down as the players entered them. I still have the laminated version and I think (hope?) that the original is still of the hard drive of my old laptop (the only bit I could salvage from it )

Fractal Mapper 8: I was able to pick up Fractal Mapper 7 on eBay for a couple of pounds and liked what I saw so bought the upgrade to v8. Not had a chance to create any proper maps with it yet, but I'm looking forward to learning

Wacom Bamboo One: I've treated myself to this tablet and pen to help in creating maps because I find it very difficult to drawn landmasses with a mouse. I don't actually get to use it until my birthday in 3 weeks (as it's, officially, a present) but I did get a quick play with it when it first arrived (to make sure it worked, of course ). I can see that it'll take a little getting used to, but I'm hopeful that it will be better than the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmcalister View Post
    Fractal Mapper 8: I was able to pick up Fractal Mapper 7 on eBay for a couple of pounds and liked what I saw so bought the upgrade to v8. Not had a chance to create any proper maps with it yet, but I'm looking forward to learning
    You might want to check out our free, 222-page PDF tutorial Raster Mapping With FM8. It covers a lot of material that isn't in the official NBOS tutorial. You can get it at:

http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex.htm
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Hmm, I guess I could have ticked "Vector (bought) as well as "Raster (bought) and "Scanned hand-drawn maps", because I do use AutoCAD as well as Photoshop (and a bit of SketchUp). Oh, that's "3D modelling" as well, then. I use all three for my work (landscape architect), otherwise this would be a bit of an expensive hobby. I like AutoCAD for outlines - coasts, contours, roads, etc. - which I can then port into Photoshop or SketchUp. If you can get hold of AutoCAD survey bases, especially if they include topography, you cant tweak and edit them into something pretty believable.
    Last edited by Vile; 02-23-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast