Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Thanks Arsheesh. The sad thing is that this began as a monthly challenge... back in, what... February? Man. This has drug on a bit, hasn't it.
    I wish it could be in there but, alas, no chance. That is one of the reasons I didn't put anything in there. I still had too much to finish.
    I have 2 other monthly challenge maps still hanging out there somewhere.

You tell him Abu! [I kid, I kid]

Well, boldloop, it won't be tiny pavers, that's for sure. It will get some sort of treatment though.
    It's good that people point this stuff out. I sit looking at this at 100% and often don't see the parts I'm not working on.

Well, this will be the last update for a while. Must get back to work and stuff.
    Tried hard to get the fields done but there were just too many.
    Tried some new stuff. Most I like. Some I might change.
    But it's coming along. Cheers and thanks for the input.
    Haerlech 03f 004 by sirinkman.jpg

Banned User

I think this one is going to qualify for the Decade Challenge

Thanks Chick. It feels like that some days.
    Hopefully it won't take more than... oh say... five years tops.

Great job on this, the fields are amazing!

Thanks Bogie. I'm trying all kinds of stuff.
    Trying to break new ground, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    soggymuse - ouch indeed. Yes, it is all hand drawn. And yes, ouch is correct.
    My hands usually hurt after working on this. I hold the pen too tight most times and I do a lot of short tight hand motions when I draw so it tends to create a lot of hand tension and soreness.
    But I know no other way. I was never a 'loose' drawer [as in one who draws... not a drawer of a dresser... haha]. Tight drawing is great for technical illustration and architecture.
    It just isn't kind to your hands over time.
    I can believe it! I do most of my lineart in Paint Tool SAI by hand but never something this ambitious. The closest I've gotten is my mesa caves, and I had to take a break from that because my hands were hurting so bad. I'm not surprised you think this will take five years but the work and detailing is really paying off. (I'm a "tense" drawer, too. xD I wear the nibs down on my graphics pen pretty fast because of it but I've never quite managed to figure out how to loosen up. Shame they don't make fatter pens for drawing, I think that would make our lives a bit easier than the standard sized graphics pens.)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    No, it would be stone. Are you going to say that it should have hand drawn stone to show this?
    Afraid so. At present, it doesn't look like natural material. The boats look modern, though, so you could just leave the harbour as a concrete structure that was built (or rebuilt after some other kind of disaster) later in the town's lifespan? If it has to be stone, then might I suggest large blocks so you don't need too much extra drawing/painting?

I love all the details. This is truly the kind of map I'd love to have printed up on the wall and explore every inch. You can't see it all all at once, so there's always something new to look at (even without the updates). It's stunning.

On the harbour area, perhaps the problem is that it looks very pristine and relatively uniform in colour? Would adding some good old-fashioned dirt help break it up a little, without involving a huge amount of work? Or maybe adding some items like ropes or barrels or something along those lines? Just a thought.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That area of the harbor and some other areas just haven't gotten the full treatment yet.
    They will before it's all done. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to get back to it and do some more bits there.

An incredible level of detail and meticulousness bordering on harassment. Hold as long on a project deserves admiration and respect. Bravo !

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast