The biggest globe you can make with gores on a letter size sheet is 3-1/2 inch diameter. An 8 inch globe uses over half the surface of a 25 x 12.5 inch sheet of paper. Globes are bigger than you expect.
Fantastic tutorial, outstanding result! Really have to try this.
The biggest globe you can make with gores on a letter size sheet is 3-1/2 inch diameter. An 8 inch globe uses over half the surface of a 25 x 12.5 inch sheet of paper. Globes are bigger than you expect.
Astrographer - My blog.
Klarr
-How to Fit a Map to a Globe
-Regina, Jewel of the Spinward Main(uvmapping to apply icosahedral projection worldmaps to 3d globes)
-Building a Ridge Heightmap in PS
-Faking Morphological Dilate and Contract with PS
-Editing Noise Into Terrain the Burpwallow Way
-Wilbur is Waldronate's. I'm just a fan.
This smacks of awesome!
Sweet sound like fun, I have a bunch of globes laying around, I'll have to try this once I figure out a planet scape. Thanks for sharing
Out of curiosity, I'm new here, so forgive me if it's common knowledge, but what tool did you use to place your map on a virtual globe for reference? I've been wanting to do something like that for my global map for a while now to get a better sense of how things fit together on a circular map as opposed to a flat rectangular one.
there are a few programs that can do it...I use G. Projector from NASA.
Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.
Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent
Do you know if there is any way to use a mercator projection in G. Projector as the base map? Or if not, is there an easy way to re-project a mercator projection into equirectangular like it requires? I've been looking around now for a while and can't seem to find anything good.
in the not so good software "g-projector"
no
have a look at
MMPS
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~arcus/mmps/
this terminal program is simple and can do a lot but the accuracy is mostly " just eyeball it "
or
Lately Qgis has been posted about a lot ( it is not a new program )
-- VERY accurate and a bit complex
now a Mercator projection IS NOT!!! 90 north to 90 south
if it is square it is Aprox. 85 north to 85 south
--- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
--------
--- Penguin power!!! ---
Yeah, i've been reading up on projections, and that's fine, since my poles are entirely ocean, though my map itself isn't really square, it's got a ratio of roughly 7:9 though, so it's close.
I just had to do it
Congrats MM, well deserved IMHO
Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.
Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent