Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP, map for a novel.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    This looks very nice! I'm quite fond of the main font you used in the first image (the one you used for "The Icy Veil" for example)... mind sharing what it's called?
    The Icy Veil font, is Eskapade Fraktur

The Forlorn Sea font is Adobe Caslon Pro

The Mountains are done in Charlemagne Std

This isn't directed at you, but a public service message to EVERYONE.

Please buy your fonts.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post
    ...I'm not sure about doing a cut out of the forest for the rivers. I've just never been keen on that...
    Tim, you can do a lot to make the rivers look more embedded in the forest without actually doing a cutout. I took a little piece out of your map and messed with it a bit, and here is the result.

River thru Trees.jpg

I'm sure you know how to do these type of things, but if you want the PS style parms I used, just message.

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Tim, you can do a lot to make the rivers look more embedded in the forest without actually doing a cutout. I took a little piece out of your map and messed with it a bit, and here is the result.

River thru Trees.jpg

I'm sure you know how to do these type of things, but if you want the PS style parms I used, just message.

Cheers,
    Cornelia
    Thanks. I'm not sure I would do that. The rivers aren't the right color right now, so I think that's part of it. I'm not keen on just ps effects, like outer glow. They tend to leave tell tale signs, which I try and avoid.

I'll come up with something. The main reason I don't like doing the cut out is that to me, it gives the impression that the forest ends before the river, and that the river is clearly visible form above. Which isn't always the case. If I want that, then I'd do a cut out. But otherwise I just don't worry about it.

I'll take Ho's Town for $500, Trebek!
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Phillips View Post
    I'll take Ho's Town for $500, Trebek!
    HA! I thought that too!

What if just a partial river was seen, through a slight open area in the forest, now you see it now you don't, and would come out at both sides? just a thought. Dotted line maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    what if just a partial river was seen, through a slight open area in the forest, now you see it now you don't, and would come out at both sides? Just a thought. Dotted line maybe?
    nevah!!!!

That's actually a good suggestion for the future.

A lot of it has to do with the scale of the world. The larger the scale, I feel when you actually divide the forest like that, it makes it look like the forest is actually divided. On this scale that this world is, I think that would look wrong.

On a closer scale, yeah, I would totally do that.

Really nice map Tim! I really like the colors and lineart, especially the mountain ones!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12