Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Oghura

Okie dokie, I've made a lot of progress by this evening. I think I just have to finish the border and do some wavy hatching in the sea, and then I will take a staged photo so hopefully you all don't have to see another snapshot from my phone!

### Latest WIP ###
    PXL_20210220_043158764.jpg

My plan is to put a grungy paper texture behind the photographed line art, and then color it in subdued shades in Photoshop. I might also replace the text; I was really inconsistent in many of the labels and that's one area where this map still disappoints me.

But I am really happy with a lot of this line work -- and I got to try some new stuff there, so hey, the challenge served its purpose!

What do you think? Any more pen work need to happen before I move to the computer?
    Last edited by jshoer; 02-20-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Regardless of the labels (I lack in that area as well), it turned out absolutely wonderful. Your elements are super clean, all that hatching must have taken a long time.

IR

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. It's ready for a staged photo, which I'll do tomorrow. In the meantime, in case anybody is interested in the border...that's not a substitution cipher!
    PXL_20210221_011811729.jpg

All right, we're *inside* the *computer*!

I threw a paper texture under it and got some colors in there.

### Latest WIP ###
    Oghura_210221.jpg

I think I might have to visit the resources section for a better texture. This one is scaled funny.

Now I have a sense of how the coloring will go, my plan is to do shadows/highlights next.

The colouring is looking nice already! I like your hatching and the little buildings in the trees are lovely, I like how they poke out of the green woods around them. Looking forward to seeing more WIPs and the finished map!

Thanks!

I'm trying a different texture; I think I like this one better for being more subtle and consistent. I've done the base light and shadows, tweaked the water color a little, and took a pass over the buildings and some of the desert textures.

### Latest WIP ###
    Oghura_210222.jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

A lot to love about this one. Great choice of texture, the style is really immersive and definitely inspiring! Well done.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

What kind of texture did you use? It is really quite good! I may want to use something similar for my maps.
    Dungeon master, World Builder, and Mapmaker.
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio
    Contact me at greendinomaps@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    A lot to love about this one. Great choice of texture, the style is really immersive and definitely inspiring! Well done.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by greendino View Post
    What kind of texture did you use? It is really quite good! I may want to use something similar for my maps.
    I found this flickr page on the Mapping Resources texture thread. This is one of the Dutch textures.

Here is today's update -- mostly adding some color to the desert and then highlighting the banners and borders.

### Latest WIP ###
    Oghura_210223.jpg

Okay, that border color was terrible, so here's a better one. I've also finished adding color to the statues and banners, and I put some large-scale shadows on the map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Oghura_210224.jpg

This could be the final version...I may play with replacing the handwritten labels with digital text, but at least I have it in a "done" configuration for the challenge!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast