Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mar / Apr 2016 Lite Mapping Challenge: Create a Compass Rose or a Map Scale

I realise that my comment above wasn't as clear as it could have been. It doesn't need to be a white background. It just needs to be a background of the same colour for the tool to work most effectively. You select the colour you want to remove when you open the tool from the menu (white is the default, I believe).

When you have a single colour background, it's literally a one-click solution to remove it, so it's super easy to use. Hope it works for you. Any probs, just holler.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan

This looks like the challenge some months ago about creating 6 map elements like compass etc.
    I used fractal art to create some compasses and it was interesting to try to do so.
    If I find some time, I ll go back to fractals. This time it is just ONE compass, right ?

Basically correct Deadshade. In the challenge from August that you mentioned I was thinking along the lines of someone making 6 barrels and crates or 6 town/village/castle icons. This time I think we are looking for 1 really well done Compass or Distance Scale, but I don't think anyone would complain if you did both a compass and a scale. Just not multiples of them.

Hope you find time to join in!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I realise that my comment above wasn't as clear as it could have been. It doesn't need to be a white background. It just needs to be a background of the same colour for the tool to work most effectively. You select the colour you want to remove when you open the tool from the menu (white is the default, I believe).

When you have a single colour background, it's literally a one-click solution to remove it, so it's super easy to use. Hope it works for you. Any probs, just holler.
    Be aware of two things when you do an operation like this: First, everything that is the chosen color will be converted to alpha. Second, the background color may still leave a bit of a halo.

It is best if the background color is the same as whatever color you anticipate the compass being placed over. For general-purpose elements, black is usually the safest color because it will blend with almost anything. But if your compass has a lot of black features, you probably don't want those to become transparent.

Fortunately, I think that taking the image through Gimp is probably unnecessary. CC3's native format for symbols is PNG, and it handles transparency just fine. I don't know the procedure, but I believe that if you save the compass as a symbol, you'll wind up with a PNG with alpha.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I just realized something. Unless I can learn to draw my own symbols I won't be able to enter the competition using cc3 because their licensing agreement does not give me permission to re-distribute their symbols for other people to use. Which is effectively what I would be doing if I made a compass for someone else to use. Looks like I'm out of this one

Ooh... that sucks. I guess that's some of the drawbacks of CC3.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Well, there is nothing that says I can't show what I had in mind though, I just can't re-distribute it. So without further ado, my would be entry into the competition was going to look something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yikes, grisly.. How many different symbols are on that?

Do I misunderstand or could you just enter the challenge and not distribute it?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

There are eight symbol's and one font on that. As far as I understand the rules, this competition is supposed to distribute the symbol as well as make it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast