Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Map WIP - Unnamed World Map

@ Alturax

Thanks for the explanation. I tried applying the Bevel&Emboss technique. (here the result ).

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really cool ideas on the worldbuilding map! That looks like a fantastic place to game in.

I agree about the texture being a bit rough; that may be why you think your mountains look a bit faint. I think the mountains look pretty good, actually; what about adding some higher peaks? And adding color fill/shading to them will make them stand out more, of course.

Hey! After a long time of no activity (finals) i have returned with a rough draft of a political map, and a more cleaned up version.

Attachment 85027

This is the rough-draft. I basically filled in the sections with the polygon lasso tool and just tried out to see how it looked. I then lowered Layer Fill to 0 on every shape and used Layer Styles (Inner Glow and Color Overlay) to create a nice faded, barely noticeable effect.
    I'm thinking of toning up the opacity on the political borders, or adding a small "stroke" layer style to make the borders stand out more.

TheStep2.jpg

Let me know how you guys feel about it All criticism appreciated
    Last edited by Alturax; 07-07-2016 at 10:38 AM.

I certainly do like the textures you are using.

Worked on what might be a final ocean, with the pattern fill from the land part and a dark blue color. I think it works nice and creates a good contrast, focusing more on the land elements, which I'm working on now.
    Also finished the borders and mountain shading.

ghvh.jpg

Very nice land shapes! I like the colors too, but I think the texture works "better" with the sea and less for the lands.

Back with another update!
    Here I muted the texture a little bit, mainly because I had a few issues inserting in the city dots and roads. I reduced the overall contrast and changed up the Bevel&Emboss on the land portion. I muted the political colors a bit more too, since they were distracting from the important stuff. I removed an unnecessary (?) Outer Shading on the mountains, that I felt was making them a bit too heavy.
    As far as proceedings go, I used mostly the same stuff I used in my older map.

jjkjkhhjk.jpg

If you're wondering why the roads follow the polar grid, it's a lore-thing. They were built by the central human Empire. That Polar Grid is essentially how that Empire organizes their area of influence. It'l be further detailed when I start putting in names.

Great job so far! The tweaking of the colors is a good thing in my view. Curious about the road network. It looks very interesting. Keep up the good work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Back with another update, this time: Roads and Dots (and rivers!)

VEN MORE ****.jpg

As you can see, roads in the Southern chunk are less organized, and I'm planning on adding even more offshoots and crazy stuff to show how the lack of organisation in construction looks like in those areas.
    I added in Rivers, tried to do them semi-realistic, but feel free to correct me on anything I may have gotten wrong

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really love that polar grid layout. Lovely muted colors, very intriguing map. Keep up the stellar work!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast