Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need map idea

Help I'm looking for a map-maker.

I need a map built for my D&D world that I'm making. It needs to have at least two continents; in one, there must be a vast northern land of cold tundra, bordered to the south by land that would be inhabited by dragonborn races. In the other continent, there should be great mountains, bordering around a land of deep canyons and lakes. There needs to be ample room for all different kinds of fantasy races to exist in their own nations, for my campaign is going to focus on wars between these nations. If you're looking for a map idea, then you should consider helping me with my map. I'd much appreciate the assistance.

What about a video game world? Like from The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Skyrim, Fallout etc. ? You should be able to easily find the maps online to work from. I have a giant, poster size copy of the Horizon Zero Dawn map I can post if you're interested. It's absolutely gorgeous, as is the in-game version which is rendered in a pseudo 3D style that's hard to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper_Derpy View Post
    I need a map built for my D&D world that I'm making. It needs to have at least two continents; in one, there must be a vast northern land of cold tundra, bordered to the south by land that would be inhabited by dragonborn races. In the other continent, there should be great mountains, bordering around a land of deep canyons and lakes. There needs to be ample room for all different kinds of fantasy races to exist in their own nations, for my campaign is going to focus on wars between these nations. If you're looking for a map idea, then you should consider helping me with my map. I'd much appreciate the assistance.
    I'd love to be able to help you, DapperDerpy, but this map is meant to be an experiment - with 'happy accidents' along the way, which I'm sure isn't something you'd want in your world map . Plus, the map will be a4 (normal printing paper size) and I don't think two continents could fit on that, plus labels and details - and, what's more, I always have problems with my scanner and its quality, which almost always ends up with the map losing a piece of border.
    There are many better, more experienced cartographers on this forum who could help you (uh... at a price, I believe...). I. myself, have never been able to submit a map bigger than a4 here because of my scanner.
    Good luck with your project!
    Quote Originally Posted by JsinOwl View Post
    What about a video game world? Like from The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Skyrim, Fallout etc. ? You should be able to easily find the maps online to work from. I have a giant, poster size copy of the Horizon Zero Dawn map I can post if you're interested. It's absolutely gorgeous, as is the in-game version which is rendered in a pseudo 3D style that's hard to describe.
    I'll have a look at all of those - though I think the Horizon Zero Dawn won't fit into my paper size lol. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post

I'll have a look at all of those - though I think the Horizon Zero Dawn won't fit into my paper size lol. Thanks!
    *Googles A4 paper*
    Right, yes, a poster would be a tad larger than that lol.

Well, I'm in need of a burned out large island or small continent. Basically a land that's been drained of next to all life. It'll need at least a dead port city and an Inland Capital in ruin. I haven't mapped it yet it's just cooking in the back of my brain.

It'll be a destination of one of the adventures in my game world but I haven't written it all out yet. As far as happy accidents go, no problem, however if you wanted to create a pretty life filled fantasy land it won't be fitting. I'm thinking lots of grey and burned-out-ness with a few sprigs of grass or a baby tree once in a while, maybe some cracked earth with glimpses of lava beneath. I suppose along the lines of the real world in The Matrix as far as feel and color. Drab, dreary and holy cow what caused all this?

The party will eventually be heading here to find a lost library for information..if anything remains. It's a post-apocalyptic-fantasy world and that means mutated monsters to deal with besides the main antagonist which up to now are a mystery my players are only just learning about.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

That sounds fun! Do you already have the island's shape in mind, or should I mess around? I've never mapped dead places before!

How about reading one of the Fighting Fantasy (choose your own adventure books)? You can sketch the world out roughly as you explore it then fill in the details later.

Ah, I like the idea, but It would take too much time. I want something to try new 'water resistant' inks with, a quick, neat experiment to discover my new equipment. Thanks for the suggestion though!

No landmass planned yet so feel free to interpret. Currently all I have is an old map I did years ago of my main continent. Eventually I'd like to get the whole thing done but for now I'm just busy working on story and mapping as I need to stay in front of the party. Thankfully, it's a very slow moving game group due to our infrequent play.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    No landmass planned yet so feel free to interpret. Currently all I have is an old map I did years ago of my main continent. Eventually I'd like to get the whole thing done but for now I'm just busy working on story and mapping as I need to stay in front of the party. Thankfully, it's a very slow moving game group due to our infrequent play.
    I started the WIP! Hope it works out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast